Search Community

Google will no longer support HTML5 ads with clickability!

volcanoflash test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello guys!

Some bad news coming from Google Adwords.

"Beginning December 11, Google will no longer support HTML5 ads with clickability modified using Tap Area or Javascript ExitApi.exit()."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6335679?authuser=0

Also all of you can noticed that TweenMax no longer available as an asset from internal Google library. Could greensokers give any clearance to this topic? 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing this out. This is the first I've heard about Google not allowing their hosted version of GSAP.

Doesn't make sense for everyone to load their own TweenMax. I suspect some people won't be happy about this. Let us know if you hear more about this, we'll do the same.

I suspect they were just saying that you can't link to some non-approved external file, but GSAP is on Google's CDN and is whitelisted (at least it has been for quite some time). We haven't heard anything about a policy change regarding GSAP, but I'll reach out to our contact there and see if they can shed some light on it. There'd be a lot of angry people if GSAP support was yanked out from under them. But again, I doubt that's the case. 

• Like 4

On 28.11.2017 at 6:35 PM, Oliver16Years said:

Therefore we have to remove exitapi.js and the clickable area from every ad. I wonder what will happen with the legalText asterisk mouseOver eventhandler if they put something over the entire ad.

I'm afraid I have to read this google "doc" line to line.

Hi there,
as i'm also forced to show a specific legal text in my ads, this development makes me sweat quite a bit. did you find something?
thanks 

14 minutes ago, Oliver16Years said:

We well see what changes really have to make, when this new system is becoming live and we can upload and test our ads.
I am thinking about watching the mouse coordinates to trigger legalText animation, instead of handling a mouseOver event.

Thanks Oliver16Years. Good point. The coordinates approach is clever and a new feature which has to be tested very thoroughly. I just posted a related question in the adwords forum. When i receive a substantial answer i'll share it here.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Oliver16Years said:

I forgot it of course and my ADWORDS ads came back with complains from the media. But the exitapi removal was simple and the legal text interaction is working too without any further tweaking.

Hi Oliver,
good to hear. I suppose your legal text fits right into the ad or do you implement some kind of "starwars-autoscroll" for large amount of text as you cannot use a normal scrollbar functionality?

Yes, exactly. If the legal text is too tall, it begin to scroll up slowly as seen in SW movies. I have a few variables: the height of the legaltext, the height of the ad, the top and bottom whitespaces. From these I can calculate the overhang and the duration of the scroll up tween. When the user mouse over the star, the box is coming in from a given direction. If the text need scrolling, the box is always tweening in from the bottom. On mouse leave, the whole stuff slips back to its original position, out of the ad.

1 minute ago, Oliver16Years said:

Yes, exactly. If the legal text is too tall, it begin to scroll up slowly as seen in SW movies. I have a few variables: the height of the legaltext, the height of the ad, the top and bottom whitespaces. From these I can calculate the overhang and the duration of the scroll up tween. When the user mouse over the star, the box is coming in from a given direction. If the text need scrolling, the box is always tweening in from the bottom. On mouse leave, the whole stuff slips back to its original position, out of the ad.

Nice. Thanks for explaining your approach. I thought of setting up a similar logic. Fortunately at the moment no client requires Adwords-ads... :-)

• 1 month later...