Search Community

License when freelancing

Dipscom test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

@Carl - I am working in a large business this week on a short contract, tasked with creating a little animation that is perfectly suited for the ScrambleText plugin but the business here does not have a license for the premium plugins.

My question is: Given that I have a license, can I use the premium plugin? The finance team here already said no and the ones in charge of acquiring such licenses are already telling me to write an equivalent function to do the same thing.

My understanding is that if the use of the plugin is limited to this one and only campaign, I can use it. Am I correct in this or not?

4 minutes ago, Dipscom said:

The finance team here already said no and the ones in charge of acquiring such licenses are already telling me to write an equivalent function to do the same thing.

Hit their serve back. Tell them that's going to take at least 2 weeks, and pull out a change order sheet. :-D

BTW, I wrote a scramble text plugin for Angular, long before I knew about GSAP, and it wasn't easy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for asking. You are allowed to use the premium plugins in projects that others hire you to do. Its part of the value of the membership. You are more attractive to clients (beyond your natural, good looks) because you bring an advanced toolset and skillset that allows you to do more in less time (which you should be charging more for :-D)

The company that is hiring you can not use the plugins in other projects.

• Like 5

In the end, I was not allowed to bring my good looks and advanced plugins into the project.

So I was forced to write my own scrambling animation function to conform with the legality here and the requested animation.

At some point, I hope to spend some time and make it a little prettier. Roll over the text for some action (and wait a few seconds)