Search Community

Follow button effect

Hector18 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Hector,

Do you have a demo of your progress so far? Is there something related to GSAP that you are stuck with?

Please understand that guys like Sahil are happy to point people in the right direction and explain the GSAP API.

However, its quite different to build complex animations from scratch so hopefully you will understand that the people offering free help here can only do so much. 

• Like 1

I've made a codepen test:

See the Pen mXrWLV by Hector18 (@Hector18) on CodePen

Here is the example:

https://bullyingandbehavior.com/

When you move the mouse over the left bottom link, the circle scale up and align with the arrow. When you move the cursor over the arrow, the circle parallax it with the arrow.

The same effect I want to create.

Thanks in advance for help!

• Like 1

Nice demo. The effect you are after is rather complicated, and again, not something that we can easily (or quickly) produce for you as it is going to take quite a bit of logic and calculations that are way beyond what GSAP handles. Again, we just have to stay very focused on the GSAP API and the mechanics of animation.

The good news is that @smallio seems to be on a similar mission as you and has made some fantastic progress.

As you can see from his code, it isn't a simple undertaking especially when you want the effect to work on multiple elements.

That said, there is still a lot to be learned from his example

After responding to your PM that I won't be able to do it because it will be time consuming I still gave it a try because it bothers me to give up in the middle.

In following demo I have just re-implemented the mouse movement and implemented the cursor and target parallax. You should be able to reuse it for multiple elements though i haven't tested it myself, I have just copied your button element to check if it works on multiple elements. Though I don't know what you meant by " the circle scale up and align with the arrow ", if you meant something like morphing around the the target element then you will have to take completely different approach and perform some tests to figure out how you will use SVG throughout the project.

See the Pen MQbdNR?editors=0010 by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

Though will need to use pointer events instead of just mouse events, in following thread you can see how you can use polyfill and use pointer events.

Another thread that shows somewhat similar cursor effect and there is one demo by @OSUblake that shows how you can use SVG, I think you can use that demo to further implement any morphing effects.

Again, some of the calculations can be done differently and code can be refactored but you will have to dive in completely to actually use it in your project. And like @Carl said it is really hard to provide answers to such questions, plus without any demo or prior work it makes it harder. Usually it is fine to post such questions for help or guidance but at the same time you should keep working on your problem and post any progress you made, it only helps yourself to learn and get answers. All the best.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sahil said:

After responding to your PM that I won't be able to do it because it will be time consuming I still gave it a try because it bothers me to give up in the middle.

In following demo I have just re-implemented the mouse movement and implemented the cursor and target parallax. You should be able to reuse it for multiple elements though i haven't tested it myself, I have just copied your button element to check if it works on multiple elements. Though I don't know what you meant by " the circle scale up and align with the arrow ", if you meant something like morphing around the the target element then you will have to take completely different approach and perform some tests to figure out how you will use SVG throughout the project.

See the Pen MQbdNR?editors=0010 by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

Though will need to use pointer events instead of just mouse events, in following thread you can see how you can use polyfill and use pointer events.

Another thread that shows somewhat similar cursor effect and there is one demo by @OSUblake that shows how you can use SVG, I think you can use that demo to further implement any morphing effects.

Again, some of the calculations can be done differently and code can be refactored but you will have to dive in completely to actually use it in your project. And like @Carl said it is really hard to provide answers to such questions, plus without any demo or prior work it makes it harder. Usually it is fine to post such questions for help or guidance but at the same time you should keep working on your problem and post any progress you made, it only helps yourself to learn and get answers. All the best.

Brilliant work dude!!! I've been working on the solution myself but hadn't got this far... wow.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help out :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi @Carl @Sahil. I used something similar that the third post.

I am trying now to get rid of jQuery but my knowledge is very limited. 

I want to use vanilla JS and have more than a single button (two) use the same magnetic function.

To achieve this correctly, I have to find the magnetic area and magnetic content inside the magnetic wrap I am currently hovering, which I don't know how to do correctly in vanilla JS. (See second example).

This example works fine on vanilla JS.

See the Pen xxVvbRN?editors=0010 by esadrian (@esadrian) on CodePen

Second example with two buttons on vanilla JS (NOT WORKING)

See the Pen YzyrJbO?editors=0010 by esadrian (@esadrian) on CodePen

Second example with two buttons on jQuery (Working bad: after too many hovers on the element, the magnetic duration seems instant.)

See the Pen PoPKGZJ?editors=0010 by esadrian (@esadrian) on CodePen

Hey @heyitsA. I highly recommend my article about animating efficiently which covers how to create animations efficiently in vanilla JS.

The first error in your demo is that you have all your code in a function that never runs! Remove the function(){ at the top will get you started fixing errors because the errors will show up in the console :) 

thanks @ZachSaucier. It's been a good 4 hours trying every possibility I was feeling helpless, I am so bad at JS. You posting the solution in 5 mins is mindblowing.

Now that I have you here: how would you make to make the button magnetic but on the red area only? Probably a totally different function there, but how...

You need to change the calculations. That function is only build to work with elements that have the same width and height. 

I noticed that the offset is always the same no matter where you are on the rectangle. After some experimenting I realized it's half of the distance of the difference between the width and height. So add that difference to your x position and voila:

See the Pen XWdvmoq?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @ZachSaucier I'm back with this topic trying to make it with the .quickSetter() with the help of other demos but I don't know how to achieve it. 

In my particular example,  where do I put the setters if I don't use tweens?

gsap.to(wrap.mContent, {
    x: (relX - boundingRect.width / 2) * movement,
    y: (relY - boundingRect.height / 2 - scrollTop) * movement,
    ease: "power1",
    duration: 0.6
  });

var xSet = gsap.quickSetter(wrap.mContent, "x", "px");
var ySet = gsap.quickSetter(wrap.mContent, "y", "px");