Search Community

Google doesn't allow longer than 30 seconds?

Eugene Rayner test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello there,

I built my first banners the other day and my company loves them! Small file size, and transitions look a lot better than static transitions.

However, 

Google only let me have an ad that runs for 30 seconds. However, in the past I have had GIF banners (made in photoshop) on an infinite loop -> ie, never ending.

adding {repeat:-1} to my timeline will successfully loop the banner, but google won't accept it.

I am also looking at 'best practices' if anyone has a link to an article or wants to leave a note here, i'd greatly appreciate that.

Thanks!

Eugene

The spec for animation that the IAB set has always been 15 seconds, not 30 seconds, and still is in the IAB's new specs (see page 17 under Animation). Autoplay video is still 15-seconds too (page 19). I'm, personally, glad this is a spec, and would actually prefer it to be much shorter, like 10-seconds. No one wants ads that continually use up resources or screams look at me.

The link above and Ohem's links contain pretty much all best practices you should be using. The new specs aren't as wide spread yet but I'd imagine this will be changing quickly this year.

• Like 2

You have to realize the only cops on the "how long is your animation" beat, are the poor AdOps people who just want to get all those ads booked and go home. In the SWF days the no clickTag was literally a deal killer that no one could fix for the advertiser without an FLA.

The reason for the rule is, looping animation is annoying, whether the AdOps peeps enforce it or not. I do loop subtle effects, like stars in a galaxy, underwater, snow falling, landed butterfly wings flapping, etc. but would never loop copy animation. Because it is annoying.