Search Community

Gsap - Cannot read property 'from' of undefined

DD77 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have an error on this code that I can't understand why keeps showing. 

//Inline Promotion GSAP animation
console.clear();
const threshold = 0.7; // trigger
const options = {
  root: null,
  rootMargin: '0px',
  threshold: threshold
};
const observer = new IntersectionObserver(animHandler, options);
const ar = Array.from(document.querySelectorAll(".two-column-promo-container"));
const animations = ar.map(el => (observer.observe(el), new TimelineMax({paused:true})));

var promoLeft = $(".two-column-promo-float-left .two-column-promotion"),
  promoRight = $(".two-column-promo-float-right .two-column-promotion"),
  featureLeft = $(".two-column-promo-float-left .two-column-feature"),
  featureRight = $(".two-column-promo-float-right .two-column-feature");

TweenMax.set("promoLeft, promoRight, featureLeft, featureRight");

// timeline for each section
animations[0].from(promoLeft, 1.8, {y:-400, opacity: 0.0, delay:0.0, });
animations[1].from(promoRight, 1.8, {y:-400, opacity: 0.0, delay:1.0, });
animations[2].from(featureLeft, 1.8, {y:-400, opacity: 0.0, delay:0.0, });
animations[3].from(featureRight, 1.8, {y:-400, opacity: 0.0, delay:1.0, });

// observer handler
function animHandler(targets, observer) {
  for (var entry of targets) {
    if (entry.isIntersecting) {
      let i = ar.indexOf(entry.target);
      animations[i].play();

} else {
        return;
    }
  }
}

See the Pen KXLzpV by davide77 (@davide77) on CodePen

So I have "fixed" it. I referenced post by @PointC in other thread, and kind of just copied certain parts without any knowledge of this IntersectionObserver. But you had multiple issues with the way you were mapping array or even selecting targets. I would suggest to recreate his pen few times by writing each line rather than copy paste to get used to it. (Not being judgemental or anything, I don't know your coding skill level so just suggesting.) As for any detailed answers wait for him or Blake to respond.

See the Pen JrqJGz by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

• Like 2

Hi @DD77 :)

I'm not seeing any console errors in your pen. Does that mean this is now working the way you'd like? I know you're using my code from your other thread as a reference for this, but please keep in mind that was only my first experiment. You may want to go through the docs for a better understanding. I'd also urge a bit of caution using the Intersection Observer depending on what browsers you need to support.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Intersection_Observer_API#Browser_compatibility

You always have the option of using ScrollMagic or using Shaun's answer from your other thread.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

@PointC thanks for your help. 

As you can probably understand I’m a bit struggling to achieve my goal here. 

I tried to use your code and I adapted but still is not intirely working as I want. 

I cant use plugins and scroll magic is not an option. 

Would you please help me to put 2 animated boxes when the elements are in view? 

As far as I can tell, everything is working correctly. With a threshold of 0.7, you're saying "when 70% of this element is in view, fire the animation." Right now, both of your elements are 100% in view on page load so they both tween immediately.

Here's a fork of your pen. I just put in a big gray spacer to shove the elements down the page. Now when you scroll, they animate when they come into view.

See the Pen gGJxJQ by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Is that what you meant?

Happy tweening.

• Like 1

It may not work correctly on mobile. I haven't done any testing beyond some desktop browsers. That's why I urged some caution in my post above. I'm not sure that the Intersection Observer is ready for prime time yet as it's still experimental technology.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Contribute/Guidelines/Conventions_definitions#Experimental

Happy tweening.

• Like 3

Yup, It won't work on IOS /safari and many modern browsers either. You will need to use polyfill which seem to support older browsers upto IE7 as well. Again, if you are just practicing then it is fine but if you are working on some project, you are better using ScrollMagic unless polyfill works for you.

http://caniuse.com/#search=intersec

Also, just curious why you don't want to use ScrollMagic?

• Like 4

There's a polyfill for pretty much everything, so I wouldn't worry about that. Check out Polyfill.io. Just include this script, and it will return all the polyfills that are suitable for your browser.

<script src="https://cdn.polyfill.io/v2/polyfill.min.js"></script>

I haven't had a chance to dig into the Intersection Observer API yet, but I will.

Here's a demo using a technique that intersection observers were pretty much designed to replace. Calling getBoundingClientRect 600 times on a scroll is not a good idea, and I wouldn't do that on a real project, but I was just trying to show how it works with as little code as possible. 

• Like 4

What do you mean it doesn't work? I don't post code that doesn't work.

That demo is responsive and more than safe. I was only talking about the fact that I didn't optimize that demo because I was trying to dumb down the code as much as possible.

There are 600 elements that I'm checking individually, but I wouldn't do that in that real project. There are 75 rows, so I would just check if a row was in view, reducing the number of checks by a lot.

• Like 3

Everything in @OSUblake's demo seems fine to me.

We're straying pretty far from GSAP support in these threads. Just so we can all stay on the same page:

@Shaun Gorneau provided a solid possibility in your other thread. @OSUblake has provided his demo with a tested option.  I've shown you how to do this with ScrollMagic and the Intersection Observer API. The only thing we haven't really tested in the real world is the Intersection Observer polyfill. Are you saying none of these options works for you? Have you tried the polyfill yet?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Hang on one second. I’m so please that everyone is helping out here. I’m just struggling to follow all this options and trying to understand them. I have to use on a really big website some gsap animation. I have a restriction on implementing plugins so that’s why I tried to pick your brains. I will have a look properly tomorrow on my machine as I’m on my mobile right now. 

Thanks guys really 

I wasn't suggesting that you weren't. I'm just trying to wrangle all the ideas in one place since this question has spanned two threads with lots of posts and a lot of options have been thrown out here. We normally try to keep the forum focused on GSAP support. Obviously, that can get away from us sometimes so we just need to know what you've tried. 

Happy tweening.

• Like 2