Search Community

Remove svgOrigin transformOrigin transforms

OSUblake test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

What's the best way to remove transforms added to svg elements when using svgOrigin or transformOrigin? I've never had to deal with this before, and couldn't find any documentation on it.

When you press the Reset button in this demo, I want all the elements to go back to their original starting state, but I don't know how to remove the svgOrigin/transformOrigin transforms.

I have it working, but I don't like my current solution, overwrite the matrix. 

tl.to(viewport, 1, {
  attr: { transform: "matrix(1,0,0,1,0,0)" },
  smoothOrigin: false,
  svgOrigin: "0 0"
})

I'd much rather do something like this.

tl.to(viewport, 1, { x: 0, y: 0, rotation: 0, scale: 1 })

See the Pen ?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 1

Well, smoothOrigin is true by default for SVG elements, so if you want to kill that you've gotta smoothOrigin:false (as you did). Are you saying that it doesn't work properly if you swap in x:0, y:0, rotation:0, scale:0 for the transform overwrite? I poked around in your demo and couldn't see a difference, but I'm probably missing something. Are you saying it doesn't work? Got a reduced test case? ;) 

33 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

Wouldn't your original idea of x:0, y:0, scale:1, rotation:0 do it? And then at the end of that, if you want to remove the svgOrigin and stuff, just use a set() in an onComplete?: 

No. The origin might have changed more than once, like in the demo. And the rotation moving back is still based on the current origin. I'd like it to rotate back around a new origin, like the object's center.

See the Pen NayyLX?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen