Search Community

dev tools must be Christmas already!!!

macguffin test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious and this would help alot but is there anyway to add it after the fact via console? That way it didn't need to be included in the actual file but could be referenced later. My team builds alot of banners and this would help during reviews.

var jq = document.createElement('script');
    jq.src = "/GSDevTools.min.js"; /// some server site for my team only
    jq.onload = function(){
            GSDevTools.create();
    }
    document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(jq);

Hm, I haven't tried that but in theory it should work as long as you're loading it quickly enough. It really needs to be in place on the first tick so that it can hijack the root timeline and "record" things properly. It basically records any animations that are created within the first 2 seconds of the page loading. 

Let us know if you run into any trouble. 

• Thanks 1

That might explain why it wasn’t working for me. It would load the interface and show in the DOM but nothing worked. All buttons did nothing. I believe as you mentioned it wouldn’t be soon enough and capture the timeline. Bummer but thank you. It was worth asking.

Another issue, outside of this one would be iframes that load a child container. It would be nice to pass in the timeline object as one of the optional parms of GSdevtools. It's not always practical to have this ready to go right after the timeline loads.

Oh, absolutely. If I understand you correctly, you can already do that. Simply define it as the "animation", like:

var tl = new TimelineLite();
tl.to(...);

GSDevTools.create({
    animation: tl,
    globalSync: false
});

Is that what you mean? 

GSDevTools doesn't need to be just wired up to the root/global timeline at all. You can point it at any animation (tween, timeline, whatever). Does that help?

• Like 1