Search Community

Best GSAP Plugin for Scroll Triggered Animations

jackb87 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi, 

I'm just curious as to what people's go-to approaches are for scroll triggered animations with GSAP these days. I played around with Scroll Magic years ago. Is that still the best tool? Particularly looking for something with good mobile performance. Are there any others that work well with GSAP?

Thanks in advance, 
Jack 

17 hours ago, PointC said:

Hi @jackb87 :)

ScrollMagic would be my personal recommendation. Depending on what you're doing, you may be able to forgo a 3rd party library. @OSUblake demonstrates a few possibilities in these threads.

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

Thanks for that @PointC! I guess i'll stick with Scroll Magic. I'm not a very experienced with writing Javascript so I have to use plugins like this (for the time being).

I saw @OSUblake mentioned in one of the posts you linked that they may be including a utility for scroll triggers in the future - which would be incredible (I'm guessing a large percentage of GSAP projects want animations to be triggered at a scroll point?). Looking forward to hopefully see that come to fruition!

Cheers,
Jack  

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with using ScrollMagic. It works really well with GSAP, has a lot of features and is easy to learn. I use it all the time.

I don't know if @GreenSock has any future plans for a scroll triggered plugin. My guess is that it would be pretty far down the list as other additions and upgrades would be a priority and ScrollMagic already works nicely with GSAP. 

Good luck with your project and happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2