Search Community

Greensock AS3 documentation where is it?

simonlucas test
Moderator Tag

As we eliminate support for AS3 we are slowly weeding out references to it from the site. We removed Flash as a menu option from the main Docs page.

You can get to the Flash docs here: https://greensock.com/asdocs/index.html?com/greensock/package-detail.html&com/greensock/class-list.html

It does seem that some docs links on the Flash GSAP page are broken and only point to the HTML5/JS docs so we will look into getting those fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl said:

As we eliminate support for AS3 we are slowly weeding out references to it from the site. We removed Flash as a menu option from the main Docs page.

You can get to the Flash docs here: https://greensock.com/asdocs/index.html?com/greensock/package-detail.html&com/greensock/class-list.html

It does seem that some docs links on the Flash GSAP page are broken and only point to the HTML5/JS docs so we will look into getting those fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Carl.

Oh thanks for the link!

I understand the clean-up is necessary. Will you be keeping those as3  docs on your site, so we can still access via the direct link?

Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Can we download the archive docs for AS3? I also do AIR Desktop and Mobile jobs and AS3 is alive and well in that arena so AS3 GSAP is something I use constantly. Without the docs I'd be in pain.

If we can download the docs that would be swell.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I appreciate the suggestion/question and it has been considered but it's not something we're willing to do at this point. There are quite a few dangers in doing so that may not seem obvious at first. But of course you're welcome to continue using the AS3 tools. I hope they're helpful!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

The AS3 docs are at http://greensock.com/asdocs/

Please note, however, that we haven't actively supported or maintained the ActionScript version of the library for many, many years. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I'd strongly recommend switching to the JavaScript platform. Flash is largely a dead platform, at least on the web. I'm curious - what are you using it for these days? 

9 hours ago, zermok said:

Hi Carl,

I'm also interested to get the AS2 and AS3 API docs for archiving but the link above is broken

Thanks

Zermok, the zip archive link is dead, but you can use a tool like SiteSucker to grab the complete docs from the url which does work.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Please note, however, that we haven't actively supported or maintained the ActionScript version of the library for many, many years. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I'd strongly recommend switching to the JavaScript platform. Flash is largely a dead platform, at least on the web. I'm curious - what are you using it for these days? 

Personally I still use it for museum work. All our touch-screen software is written in AS3 and published to AIR desktop.  I even prototype in AS3 when developing and testing complex ideas that may finally be implemented in Unity, because AS3 is such a fast language to test and develop with. 

• Like 1

Thanks Jack! appreciated!

@simonlucas

you can join Ruffle project at github to contribute to a Flash plugin native emulator written in Rust and save your work and 24 years of code with actionscript1/2/3. For sure I won't reinvent the wheel and waste my time to reprogram 13 years of code research and development just because Adobe and google abandonned the plugin concept. If they don't care of us, we dont' care of them, that is simple. Now for sure the actionscript community will do all its best to keep millions SWF apps and games alive in webassembly and with the goal to run much better than JS spaghettis code. More, in some case JS is outrageously lacking in classes that Actionscript has like Stage3D (taking much less CPU than webGL) and RTMFP classes like NetGroup, remote SharedObjects, Multicast IP and application level (UDP cannot be created in JS for now) etc...

There is also CheerpX project, claiming that it will also use webassembly but with a different manner than Ruffle. It's not open source

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, GreenSock said:

Air/AS3/Mobile development is alive and well. Harman has released the 64bit SDK and is actively working on improving the runtime for Air development. I agree Wed based Flash is 100% dead, but air mobile is not slowing down at all. The big "if" question has been answered, and that was "if" Adobe was going to kill off air with Google's 64bit requirement. For mobile development Air is easily as robust as any other tool. Thank you for keeping the AS3 docs active and allowing us to download them. I'm new to Tweenmax, but so far so good! Thanks!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:45 PM, GreenSock said:

Came here to check a few things and came across this thread and this question. 

We have been building Air Apps for iOS and Android for 7 years now, and very much active in this area. Like someone said, the technology and the platform are alive and well, and the native extensions available for the technology are well documented and updated. I am surprised for a technology this robust, it is not getting the attention it should. The fact that your library for AS3 is still being used after you stopped updating it says that much.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 10:45 PM, GreenSock said:

On 3/2/2022 at 11:15 AM, FlashV8 said:

We have been building Air Apps for iOS and Android for 7 years now, and very much active in this area. Like someone said, the technology and the platform are alive and well, and the native extensions available for the technology are well documented and updated. I am surprised for a technology this robust, it is not getting the attention it should. The fact that your library for AS3 is still being used after you stopped updating it says that much.  

I'm using GS in my AIR projects,

I only use delayedCalls, Loaders (Image, Video, Binary...). In the past I used some Timelines too.

HARMAN is taking AIR very seriously and the community has grown a lot in the last few months, they even intend to return with AIR to browsers, they have already released initial support for AIR on Linux.

https://airsdk.harman.com/

• Like 1

nice, this makes me happy to see posts like this. I have several AIR apps for iOS and Desktop apps that use GSAP and Starling. They still work. The frameworks for these are stable and still "just work". I haven't built any new ones in a while but the old ones still wok and get updated with new content once in a while. LONG LIVE AS3! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Carl said:

thanks for the updates @FlashV8 and @lwmirkk it's interesting to hear that AS3 still has some life in it. It's been sooo long since I've touched it.

I certainly miss the convenience of swf files that could be played virtually anywhere. 

Thank YOU for keeping the documenation alive. I surely appreicate it, Sir. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carl said:

thanks for the updates @FlashV8 and @lwmirkk it's interesting to hear that AS3 still has some life in it. It's been sooo long since I've touched it.

I certainly miss the convenience of swf files that could be played virtually anywhere. 

As @FlashV8 said, I also thank you, for having continued with the documentation active and even without updates, whoever needed help, you always helped even though many years had passed.

Well, until today I see the code of the packages and I see how well you wrote them, you did an amazing job, I believe that many people don't know about the existence of these packages.

• Like 1