GreenSock

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
simonlucas

Greensock AS3 documentation where is it?

Can't seem to find the old AS3 manual pages on the website anymore. Anyone know what happened to them, please?

I can't remember the url to see if the pages are still there, but the links have certainly gone from what I can see.

They are/were *so* useful.

As we eliminate support for AS3 we are slowly weeding out references to it from the site. We removed Flash as a menu option from the main Docs page.

You can get to the Flash docs here: https://greensock.com/asdocs/index.html?com/greensock/package-detail.html&com/greensock/class-list.html

It does seem that some docs links on the Flash GSAP page are broken and only point to the HTML5/JS docs so we will look into getting those fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Carl said:

As we eliminate support for AS3 we are slowly weeding out references to it from the site. We removed Flash as a menu option from the main Docs page.

You can get to the Flash docs here: https://greensock.com/asdocs/index.html?com/greensock/package-detail.html&com/greensock/class-list.html

It does seem that some docs links on the Flash GSAP page are broken and only point to the HTML5/JS docs so we will look into getting those fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Carl.

Oh thanks for the link!

I understand the clean-up is necessary. Will you be keeping those as3  docs on your site, so we can still access via the direct link?

Regards

Simon

Can we download the archive docs for AS3? I also do AIR Desktop and Mobile jobs and AS3 is alive and well in that arena so AS3 GSAP is something I use constantly. Without the docs I'd be in pain.

If we can download the docs that would be swell.

Thanks guys

attached is a zip of the AS3 docs. I don't suspect they will ever change:

AS3Docs.zip

• Like 3

Carrl – Brilliant. So useful. Thank-you.

Retropunk – good idea asking for this.

Support for this has been waning for a while - if you really are ditching it for good, have you considered open sourcing your as3 modules?

Yes, I appreciate the suggestion/question and it has been considered but it's not something we're willing to do at this point. There are quite a few dangers in doing so that may not seem obvious at first. But of course you're welcome to continue using the AS3 tools. I hope they're helpful!

• Like 1

It would be useful to pin this post to the top for those still using this for AIR apps and whatnot.  Thanks.

Hi Carl,

I'm also interested to get the AS2 and AS3 API docs for archiving but the link above is broken

Thanks

The AS3 docs are at http://greensock.com/asdocs/

Please note, however, that we haven't actively supported or maintained the ActionScript version of the library for many, many years. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I'd strongly recommend switching to the JavaScript platform. Flash is largely a dead platform, at least on the web. I'm curious - what are you using it for these days? 

9 hours ago, zermok said:

Hi Carl,

I'm also interested to get the AS2 and AS3 API docs for archiving but the link above is broken

Thanks

Zermok, the zip archive link is dead, but you can use a tool like SiteSucker to grab the complete docs from the url which does work.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Please note, however, that we haven't actively supported or maintained the ActionScript version of the library for many, many years. You're welcome to use it, of course, but I'd strongly recommend switching to the JavaScript platform. Flash is largely a dead platform, at least on the web. I'm curious - what are you using it for these days? 

Personally I still use it for museum work. All our touch-screen software is written in AS3 and published to AIR desktop.  I even prototype in AS3 when developing and testing complex ideas that may finally be implemented in Unity, because AS3 is such a fast language to test and develop with. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, simonlucas said:

Zermok, the zip archive link is dead, but you can use a tool like SiteSucker to grab the complete docs from the url which does work.

In case it helps: 

http://greensock.com/asdocs/asdocs.zip 👍

• Like 2

Thanks Jack! appreciated!

@simonlucas

you can join Ruffle project at github to contribute to a Flash plugin native emulator written in Rust and save your work and 24 years of code with actionscript1/2/3. For sure I won't reinvent the wheel and waste my time to reprogram 13 years of code research and development just because Adobe and google abandonned the plugin concept. If they don't care of us, we dont' care of them, that is simple. Now for sure the actionscript community will do all its best to keep millions SWF apps and games alive in webassembly and with the goal to run much better than JS spaghettis code. More, in some case JS is outrageously lacking in classes that Actionscript has like Stage3D (taking much less CPU than webGL) and RTMFP classes like NetGroup, remote SharedObjects, Multicast IP and application level (UDP cannot be created in JS for now) etc...

There is also CheerpX project, claiming that it will also use webassembly but with a different manner than Ruffle. It's not open source

On 7/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, GreenSock said:

Air/AS3/Mobile development is alive and well. Harman has released the 64bit SDK and is actively working on improving the runtime for Air development. I agree Wed based Flash is 100% dead, but air mobile is not slowing down at all. The big "if" question has been answered, and that was "if" Adobe was going to kill off air with Google's 64bit requirement. For mobile development Air is easily as robust as any other tool. Thank you for keeping the AS3 docs active and allowing us to download them. I'm new to Tweenmax, but so far so good! Thanks!

• Like 3