Search Community

infinite animation stops looping on reverse

Wowzaaa test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi

So i have multiple dom elements that i animate along an svg path ... for now ... looping clockwise works ... it loops forever

but if i call reverse() .... it acts like a rewind() ... if it repeated twice ... it will reverse only 2 times .. not forever

var timeLine = new TimelineMax({
    repeat: -1,
    paused: false,
    yoyo: true
});

timeLine.add(TweenMax.to(arrPeople[i], totalTime, {
            bezier: {
                type: "cubic",
                autoRotate: true,
                values: points
            },
            force3D: true,
            repeat: -1,
            yoyo: true,
            ease: Power0.easeNone,
            onUpdate: function() {
                if (this.target == arrPeople[0] && !initialized) {
                    let children = timeLine.getChildren();
                    if (children[0].time() >= totalTime - totalTime / people.length / 2) {
                        timeLine.paused(true);
                        initialized = true;
                    }
                }
            }
        }), (i + 1) * totalTime / people.length);

this is the code i use to create the timeline and the tweens

any sugestions? :(

thanks

Hi @Wowzaaa

I must say, I'm even more confused now. I see a bunch of SVG related stuff in your code, and references to different SVG libraries like d3 and snap, but it doesn't look like you're using any SVGs.

I also don't see the issue you described above. I see a bunch of people spin around a desk, and then it stops. No reverse or looping behavior is happening and I don't see any controls or buttons that work.

I guess a better question would be what are you trying to do? To do that rotation animation, you certainly don't need to use a Bezier,  or create a custom path only to have another library parse it so you can convert it to an array of points.

I can think of a bunch of different ways to do that rotation and that staggered fanning out behavior, but I'm really not sure what the issue and the desired outcome are. Can you describe in more detail some of these things?

• Like 2

they should keep their place at the table ... what i will need to do after i fix this .. is to

1) make the table turn back and forth on mouse scroll

2) make the number of people dynamic ... that is why i build the svg on the fly ... when there are 100 people ... it won't be a circle ... it will turn into an oval (or a rectangle with rounded corners with a radius of width / 2) ... so the visible part will still look like half a circle ... but the invisible part will not look like now

thanks

Ah, ok. What I was thinking about will only work for a circle, so scratch that. I'll just rework your timeline. In the meantime, here's some info about creating cubic Beziers. Converting a rounded rectangle to cubic Beziers isn't too hard.

For lines, you set the first control point at 1/3 the distance, the second control point at 2/3 the distance, and the anchors are of course at the ends. So if you had a horizontal line that was 30px long, the points would be at 0, 10, 20, and 30.

For an arc, multiply this number by the radii to get the distances of the control points.

var kappa = 0.551915024494;

See the Pen oZxobX by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 3

thanks for the info ... makes much more sense now

one question though ... are u telling me that my current solution for building the path will not work?

function roundedRect(x, y, width, height, radius) {
    return "M" + x + "," + (y + 0)
        + "a" + radius + "," + radius + " 0 0 1 " + radius + "," + -radius
        + "h" + (width - 2 * radius)
        + "a" + radius + "," + radius + " 0 0 1 " + radius + "," + radius
        + "v" + (height - 2 * radius)
        + "a" + radius + "," + radius + " 0 0 1 " + -radius + "," + radius
        + "h" + (2 * radius - width)
        + "a" + radius + "," + radius + " 0 0 1 " + -radius + "," + -radius
        + "z";
}

i tested this and it does what i supposed to ... but maybe u are talking about the conversion to cubic Beziers ... if my path structure is ok .. wouldn't TweenMax follow it whatever shape it might have?

thanks

The code for your path looks fine. But that's not going to visible, right? Isn't it just for the motion path?

If so, I was suggesting to just skip that part as it's unnecessary, and you won't need to use snap. You can just grab the points for the Bezier tween doing what I described above. I can show you how if that doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

The code for your path looks fine. But that's not going to visible, right? Isn't it just for the motion path?

right

If so, I was suggesting to just skip that part as it's unnecessary, and you won't need to use snap. You can just grab the points for the Bezier tween doing what I described above. I can show you how if that doesn't make sense.

i think i understand .... but ... i use that because i plan to just give my shape a width and height ... and get the path back ... this is the first time i work with Bezier so building them dynamically is a bit ... unknown to me :) at this point at least :)

are u telling me that my roundedRect function can return directly the bezier points?

thanks

I said I would help you out, but had other priorities to take care of first. 

If you got it working, then great. You can close your issue on Github too.

I was going to recommend a different approach once I realized you were trying to make it work like a conveyor belt. Having 100, DOM based animations running at the same time with a linear ease is not a good idea. If there's a framerate drop, it's going to be painfully obvious. Something that might contribute to a framerate drop is the fact that at least 50% those animations will be out of view, making it very inefficient.

I was going to suggest what I originally had in mind, position everything around a large div, and spin that div so there is only 1 animation, similar to this demo. It's also draggable, which means it will work with mobile.

You can simulate the conveyor belt effect by placing all your characters on the div, and toggling their visibility. It wouldn't be to hard to figure out which characters should be visible based based on the rotation of the div. 

• Like 3

And in case anybody else needs help with looping part of a timeline, you can isolate the loop in another animation.

var someAnimation = new TimelineMax({ repeat: 1 })

var loopAnimation = new TimelineMax({ repeat: -1 })
  .add(someAnimation.tweenFromTo(timeAfterOneLoop, timeAfterOneLoop + durationOfLoop))

I do the same thing in this demo.

See the Pen YrXdGZ by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 5