Search Community

Include gsap in package.json for custom npm package

Nicolas Delfino test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Sure, as long as:

1. You leave the GSAP files untouched (with copyright and license notices)
  2. You make it clear (in your Readme?) that the GSAP files are subject to their own license and were not authored by you. 
  3. You try to keep those files reasonably up to date.
  4. You don't include any of the bonus members-only plugins like MorphSVGPlugin, SplitText, etc. 

But you might want to consider just having your users get GSAP themselves so that they're more likely to get the latest files and you don't have to mess with updating stuff frequently. That's up to you, though. 

It's an honor to have you using GSAP in your project(s). 

• Thanks 1

Hi again! sorry if I was unclear, I´m not supplying the user with actual greensock files, but only the reference to your gsap package (that's on npm) as dependency. So the user will on (npm install) download all necessary dependencies specified in my package.json - one of them being your GSAP package:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/gsap

So with that said, do I need to include any license notices and copyright in my readme?

Thanks again for your help, Cheers / Nicolas Delfino

Ah, okay. Sure, that's great. It'd be cool if you'd at least make a small note in your repo/readme/project that the GSAP tools are subject to their own license, otherwise if your project is listed as MIT and GSAP is just a dependency, they'll likely just assume that everything is MIT. See what I mean? But yeah, it's totally fine if you use GSAP as a dependency in general. Cheers!