Search Community

Animating SVG text transforms

laurentvd test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi! First time trying out the MorphSVG plugin and it's pretty cool! I'm trying to transition from one SVG text transform to another (and not the shape itself).

I know that gsap does not support morphing SVG text, but is there a way to transition from one transform to another? The text in my Codepen should slightly move.

See the Pen Yxddbv by DerLola (@DerLola) on CodePen

Hi @laurentvd :)

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not quite understanding your question. You don't want to morph the text, but want the text to move with the background morph? If that's the case, you could scale it along with the morph like this:

See the Pen VzqgOJ by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Is that what you meant? If that's not right, could you provide a few more details please?

Thanks and happy tweening.

:)

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply PointC! I'm not really new to the forums, just not a very active member ;-)

And sorry for being unclear. I have a bunch of SVGs, made by a designer in Illustrator. The given SVG is just a random example and I removed many layers from it to make my question more clear (and failed at that). The text has to transform (rotate, move, scale) to whatever the designer has put in the SVG. The transformation in my example was just random really.

So I guess my question really is, can I tween from one transformation string to another?

Oh yeah- sorry - I saw the post count and thought you were still new.

If I understand your question, yes you can certainly animate from a rotation to a move to a scale etc. If you set those up on a timeline, you can overlap them quite easily too. Position parameter info:

https://greensock.com/position-parameter

Depending on what parts of the SVG you're animating, you may have to use the attribute plugin to accomplish your goals, but I can't imagine what you're tweening would be any problem as GSAP can animate any numeric property. 

More info on the attribute plugin:

https://greensock.com/docs/Plugins/AttrPlugin

Does that help?

Happy tweening.

• Like 1

Thanks again. I'm aware of the AttrPlugin, but does it transformation matrices? I mean, one <text> element has 

transform="matrix(0.9986 -5.233000e-02 5.233000e-02 0.9986 72.5351 173.9895)"

while the other one has

transform="matrix(0.9986 -5.233000e-02 5.233000e-02 0.9986 72.5351 163.9888)"

Does it know how to tween between those?

Happy to help. I'm just glad I finally figured out what you were asking. :D

Yeah - Illustrator does its best not to help us sometimes. Good solution with .replace though. Thanks for updating your pen - that will probably help someone in the future. Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Happy tweening.

• Like 4