Search Community

HTML5 Masking

Kanst test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Guys, (and thx for the forum and thx in general to Greensock)

I need a simple reveal/masking "trick"? 

I call it a trick, because i dont belive that there is a direct method for it in CSS/HTML5.

I call it simple, 'cause i need it basically in it's simplest form.

So:

- 2 layers that are interconnected (div's or img's or whatever)

- Layer 1 is invisible and controls what is shown of the 2nd layer.

- Layer 1 can be animated.

(Basic masking - like in the old and very much simpler Flash days :-))

Anyone figured this out?

I see a lot of SVG masking discussed, but thats not what i need in this case.

(so please dont refer me to those threads, im pretty sure i have investigated anything within reason for an explanation)

Also, please no -webkit stuff. It needs to be solid across browsers.

Hope that You guys can help an old time Greensock user out.

Thx in advance

/Simon

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Thx very much for Your reply.

I already red the post You refer to. (like I said, I've done my detective work and I don't just post here to avoid doing that).

Look at it this way (suggestively speaking):

It seems a lot of users (and possibly potential users) are looking for a solution to the problem?

Why not let them find it here, if there is one?

Let me rephrase maybe:

Although the underlying masking problem might be more directly related to CSS/HTML5 and the DOM - there is almost always some sort of tween involved in this effect. Would any of you Greensock experts be kind and helpful enough to provide an example that shows a potential solution where the tweening bits are done with the Greensock libraries?

If there is a solution - refer to the first post for conditions to this - i am pretty sure it would help alot of users to get this.

Here.. In the Greensock forum..

If not, an explanation to "why not" would help as a possible assurance in regards to potential clients asking this particular effect.

(I do however, understand the need to be "principle" in forums - so if you disagree in my logics it's fine, it really is :-) - I am not here for the debate, I am here for the solution! Just delete the post or whatever, and thx again)

Most sincerely

/S

• Like 2

That CSS Tricks article has quite a few examples in it. Have you tried/forked any of those? To offer the best recommendations, we'd really like to see what you're masking. If you could put together a CodePen demo of your work so far, we can probably point you in the right direction. Here's some info about that:

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2