Search Community

understanding onUpdate stack traces in chrome

erikb test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have recently noticed some large stack traces in my javascript console when debugging greensock tweens in chrome.

If you look at the example codepen url, you will see that `requestAnimationFrame (async)` is called repeatedly on every `onUpdate`.

I think something has changed in Chrome, as I don't ever recall seeing such long callbacks when debugging before.

Any suggestions how to reduce/suppress those stack traces?  (And out of curiosity, what's going on to cause those stack traces?)

Thanks!

11e13ok.png

See the Pen YxWXez?editors=0010 by jedierikb (@jedierikb) on CodePen

No browser extensions installed.  This is on Chrome Version 60.0.3112.78 (Official Build) (64-bit) running on macOS 10.12.6 (16G29).

As you see in the video, the initial load does not have the large stack trace.  Those come with subsequent reloads.

If you would like to disable async stack traces when Chrome Dev Tools is open, you can press Ctrl + Shift + p to access the Chrome Command Menu.

In the pop up list search area, type debugger .. Then click the following to disable

• Debugger Do not capture async stack traces

Async Stack Traces are on by default now.. so doing the above will disable it :)

• Like 5