Search Community

Scramble Text using existing content of div

rizzy3000 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi guys,

I am working through a project that uses ScrambleText on hover.

I cannot figure out how to simply scramble the EXISTING contents of a div. Everything I have found so far shows

how to REPLACE "text". Is it possible to only scramble the contents of a div? 

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

When I did this on an SVG ( haven't tried with HTML ) using stagger, it used the content of the first text element for all of them

So I had to change this 

tl.staggerTo($totals, 2, { scrambleText: { chars: "0123456789", ease: Linear.easeNone}}, 0.2, "label");

to this 

$totals.each(function(i, el){
    tl.to(el, 2, { scrambleText: { chars: "0123456789", ease: Linear.easeNone}}, "label+=" + i*0.2);
})

I updated the docs - thanks for the reminder. 

As for the SVG problem, I see what you mean. Sorry about that. It'd only affect scrambleText tweens with multiple targets. Here's a revised (codepen-only) version that should have that resolved: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s.cdpn.io/16327/ScrambleTextPlugin.min.js - Better? 

• Like 1

???

If I use that modified Scrambletext.js in my project I get this error

Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid regular expression: /[-]|�[�-�]|�[�-�]|[⚔-⚗]|�[�-�]|[�-�][�-�]/: Range out of order in character class
    at new RegExp (<anonymous>)
    at ScrambleTextPlugin.min.js:13
    at ScrambleTextPlugin.min.js:13

I will keep using my manual loop anyway in this case, as I am now also checking for classes and applying other animations accordingly 

Hm, you said that if you use the modified ScrambleTextPlugin.js in your project, you get an error - are you trying to use the codepen-only version? Can you tell me how I can recreate this error? Do you have a codepen demo that shows the problem? I just need to be able to recreate it on my end in order to troubleshoot effectively. Help? :)

• Like 1