Search Community

other divs are "vibrating" as scrambeText is animating

edswartz@yahoo.com test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have a scrambleText span that animates a series of words successfully. However, as it plays, a neighboring div (#homeHeader) vibrates. This happens across Chrome, Safari and their iOS versions. The divs are styled using css grid and media queries and are meant to sit side by side on landscape and vertically stacked on portrait queries.

Note that this "vibration" doesn't happen all the time, but I can't identify what makes it vibrate exactly. I've tried to force reloading of cache on the browser but that does not seem to impact it. As stated above, I've tried across different browsers and different devices.

I've tried fiddling with tweenLength, but the words are 4-6 characters long so I would not think it would impact the divs sizes that much. In fact, when I look at the divs in Chrome's devTools I don't see their size change at all.

Let me know if you need anything else to try to troubleshoot.

See the Pen VWPevg by edswartz (@edswartz) on CodePen

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

Thanks for the demo. Very helpful.

As ScrambleText scrambles the text the amount of text and width of each character is going to change the width of the span and thus change the flow of the text around it. I slowed down the animation and gave the span a red background. 

EDIT: demo below: 

I haven't worked with CSS Grids at all, sorry.

ScrambleText effects are most often used as headlines or text that "stands alone". As you found, its a bit problematic in the middle of a sentence.

It helps if the start and end words have the same number of characters and you use a fixed-width font. 

• Like 1

Thank you! Actually after your suggestions I changed the type face (for aesthetic reasons) but the real solution was to change the grid specifications from 'auto' to specific percentages. 

So I changed:

grid-template-columns:auto;

to:

grid-template-columns:50% 50%;

This keeps the parent divs a specific size and does not force it to recalculate the layout.

Really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

• Like 1