Search Community

Scaling and will-change in Chrome

OSUblake test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Looks like scaling and will-change issues have been fixed in v59 of Chrome. No more rasterization at a low scale, or jumping at the end of a transform. :-D

And using will-change can provide a nice performance boost. Compare the CPU usage between these two demos. In the demo above, you should notice the CPU rise as the image gets larger. This is because it creates a new raster every time the scale changes, so the larger the image, the more the CPU has to work.

In the demo below, the CPU usage should be relatively flat as it will use the same raster throughout the animation. While this may improve performance, the overall quality may not look as good, particularly at lower scale levels. 

EDIT: This is only for graphics. Scaling text is still an issue.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Fixed, until they break it again. Thanks for letting us know :)

We already predicted that!

I noticed that Polymer removed will-change: transform from their animations. And then I noticed that v59 broke animations where I was using will-change. It was rasterizing stuff at a low scale value. :angry:

If you're using will-change, you might want to go check to make sure everything looks ok.

• Like 4