Search Community

Duration the same as the sum of an arbitrary number of other durations

alan0buchanan test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

In my bounce codepen, I am using a `Timeline` to tween `y`. These durations are all different as the bounce distance changes, as the ball loses momentum.

I am also tweening `x`, which is a single duration so that the ball travels.

I want the `x` duration to be the same as the sum of all the `y` durations. Currently, if I add another bounce to my `y` sequence, it will throw off the `x` duration.

Is there a nice way to do this so that my `x` duration just works without me having to manually tightly couple it to the sum of the `y` durations?

See the Pen LyKNqm by alanbuchanan (@alanbuchanan) on CodePen

Hi @alan0buchanan:)

One option would be to move the x position tween off the timeline into its own tween and set its duration to the duration of the bounce timeline.

See the Pen zwVQKr by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

If it were me though, I'd be looking at using CustomBounce for this. It would be easier and you'd be able to add some squash and stretch.

https://greensock.com/?sub-product=js-custombounce

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 3

Yeah, if you haven't checked out CustomBounce, I think it'll save you a LOT of time and hassle with an effect like this. 

https://greensock.com/wiggle-bounce

If you don't want to get a Club GreenSock membership, you could still build your own CustomEase and draw the bounce yourself. It'd still probably be easier than stringing together all those tweens (which is fine, of course - nothing "wrong" with it). 

• Like 2

CustomBounce is definitely the way to go. If you are starting your bounce from the bottom like a jump, be sure to check out endAtStart:true:

See the Pen vyBBOP?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Just to add to Craig's great advice of using the duration of the timeline for the duration of the x tween... you can still put the x tween in the timeline by adding it last with a position of 0 like:

bounce
.to(blob, .3, {y: -800, ease: goingUp})
.to(blob, .3, {y: 0, ease: goingDown})
.to(blob, .2, {y: -300, ease: goingUp})
.to(blob, .2, {y: 0, ease: goingDown})
.to(blob, .15, {y: -100, ease: goingUp})
.to(blob, .15, {y: 0, ease: goingDown})
.to(blob, .1, {y: -70, ease: goingUp})
.to(blob, .1, {y: 0, ease: goingDown})
.to(blob, bounce.duration(), {x: 500}, 0); //add at a time of 0

• Like 5