Search Community

About the use of the PathEditor.js

duzhongkai test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

PathEditor is just a utility that we use internally for our own purposes such as the Ease Visualizer.

PathEditor isn't a tool that we promote or support. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, duzhongkai said:

@GreenSockI'm editing animation, it can edit the motion path, find this very easy to use

Opening up the path editor would be HUGE!!! It's hard to understand motion paths without seeing the actual path. 

And being able to edit an existing path in the browser would be even better. Kind of like this paper example...

http://paperjs.org/examples/hit-testing/

• Like 1

I was pretty excited about PathEditor when I created it, and thought it'd be cool to share but then I thought it could turn into a support nightmare due to the complexity and I'm not entirely sure it'd work perfectly on every touch device, etc. :)

If enough people request it, we very well may release it (at least to club members) ;)

And yeah, Blake, I saw that Chrome extension and was equally frustrated with it. 

52 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

If enough people request it, we very well may release it (at least to club members) ;)

Isn't that like a catch-22, or something? Nobody will request it because they don't know it exists. :?

One idea would be to setup some CodePens for unsupported GSAP experiments? Give people a chance to play around with stuff and test the waters, without officially supporting it. Just a thought.

• Like 1

A catch-22 indeed, Blake. Yeah. The other tricky thing is that anytime we make something public (even "experimental"), we've gotta spend a fair amount of time documenting things, providing examples, etc., etc. And the API may evolve based on feedback, requiring more edits to docs. We're actually in the middle of rebuilding the tech that undergirds the docs (not the content of the docs - just all the plumbing for how they're built and displayed), so hopefully that'll make it a little less painful to do in the future. We've got a bunch of stuff we've been focused on, so it's tough to set those aside to push PathEditor out there (even in an experimental state), but I actually agree that it'd be cool to do at some point. We'll definitely keep it in mind. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just curious. Looking at this thread, though it is 2 years old, I wondered if you had changed your mind on possibly releasing it some time in the future...

On 5/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, GreenSock said:

Sorry if I put you in an awkward spot.Certainly didn't intend to do that.