Search Community

GSAP & Double Click Studio

Kiere test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by somnamblst,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I currently use GSAP to create banner ads that are served through DCM. As of late, the higher ups have asked me to build in studio so they can have all of the asset tracking metrics that can be applied in Studio. Their thinking is it HAS to be built in studio, but my understanding is that it just needs the correct APIs. I do really complex ads and the only way to get the functionality we need is to code using GSAP and not in a WYSIWYG. My thinking is to make the banner ads like we do using GSAP and then add the studio APIs or specific boiler plate code to the code to get the tracking metrics that they are looking for.

Is there anything that I am overlooking by planning on doing it this way? 

Is there anyone who does ads this way currently? If so, are there any challenges I should be ready for? 

Any thoughts, pros or cons would be extremely helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

the higher ups have asked me to build in studio so they can have all of the asset tracking metrics that can be applied in Studio

I remember when the Chrome change to SWFs auto playing came down. We actually received a forwarded email that said all DCM accounts were being upgraded for free to Enhanced Banners. Enhanced banners have extended metrics.

Because I also had DCM login info, I peeked at what the AdOps people were doing in this new workflow, and it did not appear that the AdOps people were actually booking my banners as Enhanced. So what I am saying is, if those metrics aren't there, it may be due to AdOps not taking advantage of that free upgrade and not booking your ads as enhanced.

https://doubleclick-advertisers.googleblog.com/2014/02/take-advantage-of-engagement-metrics.html.

This is a part of my adFormats.json. As You can see there are just a bit difference between the 2 formats.

"DOUBLECLICK": {
        "scripts": "SCRIPTS_CDN", // GSAP can be on Google CDN
        "assets": "ASSETS_AUTOINLINE",
        "kilobytelimit": 200,
        "zip": true,
        "fallback": true, // Static/backup.jpg
        "separateFallback": true, // Not included in adSize. Put it beside the .zip
        "landingpage": true,
        "engine": "<script> var clickTag = '{{landingpage}}';</script>\r\n",
        "clicktag": "\t<a id = clickArea href = 'javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)' ></a>",
        "clicktagid": "clickArea"
    },

"DOUBLECLICKSTUDIO": {
        "scripts": "SCRIPTS_CDN",
        "assets": "ASSETS_AUTOINLINE",
        "kilobytelimit": 200,
        "zip": true,
        "fallback": true, 
        "landingpage": true,
        "engine": "<script src=\"https://s0.2mdn.net/ads/studio/Enabler.js\"></script>\r\n<script> var clickTag = '{{landingpage}}';</script>\r\n",
        "clicktag": "\t<a id = clickArea href = 'javascript:window.open(window.clickTag); Enabler.exit(\"clicktag_exit\");'  ></a>",
        "clicktagid": "clickArea"
    },

I am not sure if DOUBLECLICKSTUDIO counting in the statik's size. + You have to put a <scrip> tag with Enabler.js in DOUBLECLICK format.

• Like 1

If you’re building in Studio, then you need to add the API in your code and build a “Creative” in Studio as well. However, it’s not a WYSIWYG at all or in any sense. In Studio, you’re just setting up the format, uploading the files, adding the exit URLs, and previewing — that’s what a “Creative” is.  You still would build your ad using whatever code editor you use (i.e. Sublime). The only difference in the way you would be building is loading the Enabler API, adding a polite load if necessary, adding DoubleClick “exits” rather than using clickTag, tracking if you need it, etc etc. Otherwise, you continue on with your normal GSAP workflow. It’s actually not very complicated at all and not much different than what you’re currently doing.

Even though setting up the files isn't very different, I believe it is significantly more expensive to traffic ads through Studio.  

I've worked for a company that had been using Studio instead of DCM for all of their standard banners (they just didn't know any better), and it was apparently something like triple the cost.

If you're not doing rich media, it's generally better to stick with DCM.

• Like 2

• Solution

Coming from someone who ultimately ended up being asked to traffic her own Pointroll tags, if you can avoid being sucked into having to use Studio, I would try for that. Because then you end up having to do AdOps tasks

Enhanced banners in DCM have advanced metrics.

We actually had a Google employee assisting us with the transition. He said only expandables, video and dynamic had to be rich media AKA DCRM.

We also had value added geo targeted Dynamic probably because this is a big account. That was not available post SWFs, and that was the point where Doubeclick was pushing people to become certified, at least one person per creative shop, to traffic their own DCRM ads.

If you’re building in Studio, then you need to add the API in your code and build a “Creative” in Studio as well. However, it’s not a WYSIWYG at all or in any sense. In Studio, you’re just setting up the format, uploading the files, adding the exit URLs, and previewing — that’s what a “Creative” is.  You still would build your ad using whatever code editor you use (i.e. Sublime). The only difference in the way you would be building is loading the Enabler API, adding a polite load if necessary, adding DoubleClick “exits” rather than using clickTag, tracking if you need it, etc etc. Otherwise, you continue on with your normal GSAP workflow. It’s actually not very complicated at all and not much different than what you’re currently doing.

Thanks for the clarification, I obviously am a newb. I am just frustrated since I have management saying "it HAS to be built in studio". When I was in studio I was so confused on to how I was going to build anything in it. 

I have been swimming in the double click forums and when I think I have a grasp of what is going on I often get reminded that I don't. I did get studio certified and that helped but still not sure how to actually accomplish what is being asked of me. It doesn't help that I try and tell the people who want the project we don't need to build in studio I just need to add the appropriate api and upload and they keep telling me no, no, no this pilot needs to be built in studio. 

Even though setting up the files isn't very different, I believe it is significantly more expensive to traffic ads through Studio.  

I've worked for a company that had been using Studio instead of DCM for all of their standard banners (they just didn't know any better), and it was apparently something like triple the cost.

If you're not doing rich media, it's generally better to stick with DCM.

My understanding is that I am supposed to "build in studio" and the ads are still going to be served with DCM. We aren't doing rich media yet, but this is supposed to be the proof of concept before moving to that. But rich media is the goal, I get to be the bridge. 

Coming from someone who ultimately ended up being asked to traffic her own Pointroll tags, if you can avoid being sucked into having to use Studio, I would try for that. Because then you end up having to do AdOps tasks

Enhanced banners in DCM have advanced metrics.

We actually had a Google employee assisting us with the transition. He said only expandables, video and dynamic had to be rich media AKA DCRM.

We also had value added geo targeted Dynamic probably because this is a big account. That was not available post SWFs, and that was the point where Doubeclick was pushing people to become certified, at least one person per creative shop, to traffic their own DCRM ads.

I have no way to get out of studio since they are already sold on it. Thankfully the AdOps will not fall on my shoulders. That will fall on another department... at least as it stands now. 

Good to know about the enhanced metrics, probably why we are still planning on serving through DCM for now. 

As I said above rich media is the goal we are just trying to get proof of concept with out existing tactics before we move to full rich media. 

I think my whole team will need to be certified if we continue, and management for whatever likes the sound of that. 

Rich media has impression fees.

I was Studio certified for Flash for DCRM. You have to take a test. They revoked my credentials when I did not retest for HTML5.  

It was a lot like having self serve access to Pointroll, except Pointroll didn't make sure you knew what you were doing by making you test. Even if you are just building in Studio, someone has to traffic those tags, it won't just be zipping your assets and handing them off. 

For anyone interested, I found the documentation on Enhanced banner metrics for DCM.

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6279526?hl=en

Check display creative metrics

View display creative metrics in DDM Reporting. Add these metrics when you create a Standard report in Report Builder. Here are the available metrics:

• Average display time

• Total display time

• HTML5 impressions

• Average interaction time

• Total interaction time

• Interactive impressions

• Clicks - The total number of clicks on all your creative's exits, including the backup image.

• Backup image - View impressions on backup images if they are served instead of a Rich Media asset.

• Display creative exits - Add display creative exit reporting labels in the Rich Media section of your Standard report. They should match the reporting labels shown for each exit in the "Click tags" section of your display creative properties. You can view clicks on each exit in your creative by checking the clicks associated with these labels. You can also add the label associated with your backup asset exit. Note that there is no metric called "display creative exits."

• Like 1

I think my whole team will need to be certified if we continue, and management for whatever likes the sound of that. 

I passed two of Doubleclick's certifications.  You definitely have to study, even for things you may never use like Dynamic.

When I was in studio I was so confused on to how I was going to build anything in it. 

I had a Doubleclick employee walk me through over the phone when I was first given access. The certifications have study guides. You don't build, you upload, but you do need to know what to choose in the drop downs, so you need to know the DCRM lingo.

https://www.richmediagallery.com/tools/certification

There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you use Bannertime, you can choose DoubleClick as the platform you're using, and it will scaffold out the files you need, including the appropriate include of DoubleClick's Enabler.js. It also sets up polite loading, clicktags, etc. I love no having to think about any of that stuff. :)

My understanding is that I am supposed to "build in studio" and the ads are still going to be served with DCM.

That is because trafficking your DCRM uploaded assets will result in a DCRM specific rich media tag, which is either supplied to publishers to run on a specific site (DFP) or to DCM.

• Like 2