Search Community

Competing progress() calls inside of resize

zachschnackel test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by OSUblake,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi all!

In the attached CodePen, I have a reduced test-case of a UI I'm working on. On desktop-view (768px and higher) if you click the "Open Convo" button, the Inbox and Convo panels will both be on the screen by manipulating their `flex-basis`. If you then click the "Open Profile" button (enabled when you click the "Open Convo" button on desktop, you'll see the entire `.app-panels` transform over to show that area.

I have a slightly different UI if you interact with the panels on mobile (767px and lower --- do a refresh to interact with mobile and just drag the window in smaller so the other timelines run don't conflict <-- one of the things I'm trying to fix).

If you go through the same steps as mentioned above, you'll notice just the `.app-panels` div transforms to show the full-width version of each panel within it -- which all works fine.

Now -- refresh and start with the desktop-view again and open the Convo. What I'm doing in the resize listener `optimizedResize.add()` is checking if the convo desktop timeline has been run by using `progress()` and if it is complete and on-resize if it's in a mobile-view, I want to set the progress of the desktop timeline back to the beginning and then set the progress of the mobile timeline to 1 (or finished). I have a `clearProps` helper in the `onReverseComplete()` callback of the desktop timeline, but the ending prop styles of the desktop timeline still remain, so it messes up the mobile-view.

I know that's kind of a cluster-f*ck to throw at ya, but hopefully that's a good enough explanation. I'm not sure if it's an issue with editing the state of GSAP timelines within a resize event or if it's the nature of calling the `progress()` function of two timelines that could override each other. Let me know if you need anymore clarifications. Thanks for checking this out!!!

See the Pen d15a0b4bad1c6ed25ac327db68d67606?editors=0011 by zslabs (@zslabs) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi @zachschnackel,

Not sure if I totally understand your issue, but here's how I handle resizing. I record the state of an animation, usually it's progress value and reversed state, but it all depends on the animation. For a repeating animation that yoyos, I would just record the totalProgress.

Next, I set the progress of the animation to 0 and clear it. That should prevent any inline styling issues. Finally, I rebuild the animation, and set the state of the animation to the values I recorded earlier. The performance impact of creating new animations is minimal, and is something I would not worry too much about unless you notice it's an issue. Rendering is the bottleneck 99% of time, not your JS.

Here's a simple demo of how that looks.

See the Pen 3f8b76a324743b25b786026d5b711fff?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

And here's a more advanced demo using some media query listeners. 

See the Pen ee36b4d9caaea7e27815cd5f7f76d14c?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 3

Those examples are awesome! Thank you as always for the support and willingness to help explain. Have a great day!

For anyone else that references this later, you can follow along in that pen, but Blake's examples may be a bit more straight-forward to consume.

• Like 1

Another nice trick that may help you in the future with resizing/layout changes is setting the progress an animation to 1 to calculate an end value. Just a couple simple examples...

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/12241-get-end-value-of-classname-tween/?p=50574

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/16334-thishittest-in-ondragend-but-for-final-position/?p=71904

Hey Blake - I think I have  working about 99.9%, but for some reason while re-sizing and interacting with the panels, the resize listener gets in a weird state where it will be "off" what it should calculate to. It's a bit sporadic, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with `progress()` (if it's asynchronous) or what, but something gets confused after a number of interactions.

It's almost as-if some of the checks around the `progress()` are being checked twice before GSAP has enough time to update. Since my resize listener also runs during requestAnimationFrame (as does the GSAP ticker) I wonder if things are getting confused in there...

The only thing that stands out to me at the moment is that you are creating a new timeline after clearing one, so that might be the double checks you are describing. If you look at my examples, I'm not creating any new timelines. Yes, I do create new timelines in that grid demo, but that's only if a timeline doesn't already exist. 

Ah! They do not -- they set them back to their original values, but still inline them. So -- what I did was run `TweenMax.set(panelSelectors, { clearProps: 'all' });` to make sure those are 100% clean before setting the progress of other timelines. Thanks for your help!