Search Community

Start nested timeline not from beginning

classikd test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

In my master timeline i would like to play child timelines not from the beginning, from the half for instance.

I've succeded in using the tweenFromTo() function.

But the problem is that i have to set the 2 values in seconds, and let's imagine if later i change the duration values in my timelines i will have to make a calculation again to find the 2 values and then change them. Not a convenient method.

Do you know if a better solution exists ?

Thanks a lot.

See the Pen qrQjMO by classikd (@classikd) on CodePen

• Solution

You wouldn't have to use tl.duration()/2 like I did. I only did that so the nested timeline would play at the same speed as it was intended. When you tween progress like that, it doesn't have to be the same duration as the original timeline. You can tween the progress at a faster or slower rate if you like. In your demo we know the nested timeline with the staggers is 2.5 so you could simply hard code the duration of the tween to 1.25 if you like. 

Does that help at all?

I do have a question though. If that nested timeline is going to repeat infinitely, does it have to be part of the master timeline? Couldn't it just be on its own? It could even be in a function that calls itself again onComplete. Maybe that wouldn't work for you. I'm not 100% sure what your final need will be for this.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

Yes it does help me a lot !

And you're right i think i'm going to use a function calling itself when completed instead of using the repeat attribute.

Because i encountered another problem, the timelines added after the infinite animation timeline are never played :D

I saw on an other post that using the callback method would solve this problem so i'm going to try that.

Thank you PointC.

• Like 1