Search Community

Force Recalculate Transform Origin of SVG Group

jackrugile test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey folks, I am using GSAP to get around the Firefox transform origin issues with SVGs and SVG child elements. I am applying animations to groups within an SVG.

I have two SVGs, one that is for desktop sizes, and one for mobile. Each one calculates the 50% 50% transform origin on page load. However, on resize, when swapping to the alternate SVG for the different screen size, all the calculations are shifted and messed up for the one that was previously hidden.

CodePen Demo

Resize the window to see the issue. The SVG groups should be animating the same way.

Is there a way to force GSAP to recalculate the transform origin on resize? This is the code I'm using:

TweenMax.fromTo(
  elem,
  {
    rotation: -10,
    transformOrigin: '50% 50%'
  },
  {
    transformOrigin: '50% 50%',
    rotation: 20,
    ease: Sine.easeInOut,
    repeat: -1,
    yoyo: true
  }
);

See the Pen a51dbbe344854c879eecfc559dcb4d3d by jackrugile (@jackrugile) on CodePen

• Solution

HI jackrugile :)

Welcome to the GreenSock forum.

I think you're going to run into trouble when you're trying to set one of those SVGs to display: none because it will be taken out of the render tree. Jonathan has a nice write-up about that here:

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/15588-dragging-masked-svg-path/?p=68061

Is there a reason you're swapping SVGs for desktop and mobile since it scales up and down so well? Just curious.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 3

Hey PointC,

Thanks for that link, that definitely seems to be the issue. Looks like I'll have to use absolute positioning to move it off the screen and out of the flow of the document.

The desktop SVG had landscape dimensions and the mobile SVG has portrait dimensions. Sorry, I didn't really reflect that in my reduced demo.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 2