Search Community

MorphSVG plugin

atomboy test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I have a button which morphs an svg on click. However when clicking rapidly the svg path is malformed. How to avoid this?

Edit: Seems to go away when I remove transform-origin so the problem lies within transform origin

this.tl.to(this.envTop, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envTopPath, rotation: 0, transformOrigin: '50% 50%' }, 0)
                .to(this.envBottom, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envBottomPath, rotation: 0, transformOrigin: '50% 50%' }, '-=0.5')

this.tl.to(this.envTop, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envTopPath, rotation: 0 }, 0)
                .to(this.envBottom, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envBottomPath, rotation: 0 }, '-=0.5')

I'ts the rotation this is the code I use each click the timeline reinstantiate. If essential I could make a pen to reproduce

const tl = new TimelineLite()
        tl.set(this.envTop, { transformOrigin: '50% 50%' })
            .set(this.envBottom, { transformOrigin: '50% 50%' })
        if (!checkedTwo && two) {
            tl.to(this.envTop, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.crossTopPath, rotation: 360 }, 0)
                .to(this.envBottom, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.crossBottomPath, rotation: 360 }, '-=0.5')
                .to(this.envLeft, 0.5, { x: -300 }, '-=0.5')
                .to(this.envRight, 0.5, { x: 300 }, '-=0.5')
        } else if (checkedTwo) {
            tl.to(this.envTop, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envTopPath, rotation: 0 }, 0)
                .to(this.envBottom, 0.5, { morphSVG: this.envBottomPath, rotation: 0 }, '-=0.5')
                .to(this.envLeft, 0.5, { x: 0 }, '-=0.5')
                .to(this.envRight, 0.5, { x: 0 }, '-=0.5')
        }

I also did a play reverse without reinstatiating the timeline but that also gave wrong positioning after clicking fastly on the button.

• Solution

Hi atomboy :)

When something is looking odd or getting out of position with rapid clicks that tells me tweens are getting overwritten. For click morphs I always create a timeline and play/reverse it on click rather than creating new tweens or timelines on each click.

As Jack mentioned, a CodePen demo is always better so we can edit your code and give you the best help. Please let us know when you have that ready.

Thanks.

• Like 3

I'm using React. The way I setup the timeline to make things work well is to instantiate the timeline in the constructor() { ... } and to add the animation in componentDidMount() { ... } -- Then play reverse it in the click handler. 

Thanks for the support, great as always!