Search Community

New User with easy questions, I think

pfash test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by PointC,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi All,

I'm new to Greenstock and to Javascript. I've been doing some corss-dissolving and swapping/zooming of bitmaps on our site with a combo of JS and CSS but the (much more advanced) developer helping me recommended that, to accomplish the type of new animations I am planning (zooming bitmaps that have animated loops playing on top of them and animations triggered by queues in a soundtrack), I should use GSAP.

I've looked over some of the GSAP web pages and am impressed. My 2 newbie questions are:

• If I use the free version of GSAP, to build my whole app and then Greenstock goes away...do I have to rebuild the whole site?

• Does it look like I can achieve the level of animation described above using the free part of GSAP? (We are a NPO with no money to spend on this.)

Thanks much!

• Solution

Hi pfash :)

Welcome to the GreenSock forum.

GreenSock has been been setting the standard for over 10 years so I can't imagine they would go away any time soon. They're always evolving the platform and adding new features and plugins so you're quite safe in using GSAP. 

To answer your first question though - you would have downloaded the GSAP files and could link to them on your own server so your site would keep working.

I don't see anything in your project description that sounds too complicated so - yes the free version of GSAP should work just fine for you. I'd add that Club memberships pay for themselves quickly with the time saving bonus plugins so if you want to add some cool features like morphing, it's a great choice.

I encourage you to download GSAP and try it. I think you'll love it.

Happy tweeing.

:) 

• Like 2

Yup, Craig is exactly right.

If I use the free version of GSAP, to build my whole app and then Greenstock goes away...do I have to rebuild the whole site?

I understand your concern as many open source projects have been abandoned. GreenSock is fully committed to the longevity of the tools. It's not a side-project or hobby. You can rest easy that we will be doing our best to keep the lights on and the animation factory running with the help of our moderators and community members. 

Regardless of what happens to us, the code you download and use today will never expire. You can use it for 100 years or as long as web browsers support JavaScript :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...