Search Community

<br> Tag inside <p> Breaks Line Functionality

fastraxpos test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

We recently began implementing GreenSock libraries into our design application, which involves the use of content editable blocks which make up text layers. Our system is built to work with Medium Editor, and works well for any modification, etc we need to make.

Now we began implementing animation into our layer system, which will give us entrance and exit effects. I've set up all the tweens and custom animations to the layers, slideIn, rotateIn, zoomIn, bounceIn, etc, using TimelineMax which works amazingly. However when we move to split text, I found a few issues which I ran into, specifically with split text and lines.

I've attached an example code pen with the issue, using one of the examples from your repository for SplitText.

Your Link:

See the Pen gFHza by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

My Link:

The issue is when a <br> tag is included after typing and creating new lines, the format is as shown below:

<div id="quote">
    <p>Text with break tag issue<br></p>
    <p>Even With New Lines</p>
</div>

This is throwing an exception DOMException: Node was not found in line 246 of SplitText.js.

The code on this line is: "element.removeChild(node)"

When commenting, this works as expected, and the node in console reports a <br> tag as expected.

Is there any way to prevent this from occurring? I could try some workarounds for this format, but you mention compatibility with most every type of structure (excluding spans, etc). I figured this may be a bug you could fix for other users as well.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Justin

See the Pen BpLbjv by jbevan2007 (@jbevan2007) on CodePen

Sorry about that. It should be resolved in the upcoming release which you can preview on codepen using this URL: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s.cdpn.io/16327/SplitText.min.js

Better? 

Once you confirm things are working well for you, I'll update the official zip files so you can snag the "real" one that works outside of Codepen. 

• Like 3

Hello,

This seems to work fine in the CodePen instance, so I think it will be fine when implementing in my libraries.

Let me know when this has been updated in the source so that I can grab it and update my local file.

Thank you for the fast response and great support!

Thanks,

Justin