Search Community

How to play onComplete on timeline reverse

mk1 test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mk1,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey, quick question.

How can I make this onComplete part work on main timeline reverse?

.to(imessagewrapper, 0.4, {autoAlpha: 1, ease: Back.easeOut.config(1.7), onComplete: function () {
            imessage_tl.play();
        }}, "S22")

I don't want to launch this timeline in .add() or as a tween, as this will ruin my timeline behaviour.

Update, but still not working

.to(imessagewrapper, 0.4, {autoAlpha: 1, ease: Back.easeOut.config(1.7), onComplete: function () {
            imessage_tl.play();
            console.log("Trying to play");
        }, onReverseComplete: function () {
            imessage_tl.play();
            console.log("Trying to play on reverse");
        }}, "S22")

Here I found something about onREverse call https://greensock.com/forums/topic/9499-onreverse/?hl=onreverse#entry38487

but it's not listed here:

https://ihatetomatoes.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/GreenSock-Cheatsheet-2.pdf

• Solution

Okay, problem solved, it's still hard for me to picture how the code is executed on reverse actions :), need more exp :D

Here's my solution:

imessage_tl.play();
        }}, "S22")
        .add("S2end")
        .addPause()

.to('#innerDotWrapper', 0.4, {autoAlpha: 0, height: 0, marginBottom: "0px", onComplete: function () {
            imessage_tl.pause(0);
            console.log("Pause");
            imessage_tl.play();
        }}, "S3")

If someone was so nice and explain to me why my previous solution refused to work I will much appreciate it.

It worked in the end, although I imagine you're still working on this as it kind of breaks if I change the window size. Lots of things misalign. 

Anyway, trying to read a whole website's worth of code is a no go. Too much to wade thru there mate, sorry.

However, I can give a punt as to why the first attempt did not work and the second did (at least I think it is why, only an example pen would set this matter to rest but it's a tad late here and I won't set one up at the moment... Soz...)

Here, you have two instances of .play() in the same timeline but notice you are not passing any arguments to the method.

imessage_tl.play();
 imessage_tl.play();
}}, "S22")

By default, the .play() method just continues playing from where the virtual playhead is until it reaches the end of that timeline. Once at the end, it doesn't really do anything. I think it is safe to say that by the time you get to the onReverseComplete() call the imessage_tl has finished playing and thus, nothing else would happen.

In your second attempt, you have a different setup that includes the following:

imessage_tl.pause(0);

That makes the virtual playhead jump back to the start of the timeline and so, when you later have the onReverseComplete() call, the imessage_tl plays from its beginning.

In order for the first setup to work, you would simply add a zero as a parameter into your .play() methods, like so:

imessage_tl.play(0);
 imessage_tl.play(0);
}}, "S22")

That way, every time that tween either completes playing or reversing, the imessage_tl is going to start right from the start, no matter where its virtual playhead is.

• Like 1