Search Community

Best practice or advice in naming variables

Buntafujiwaaa test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Everyone, this is not a animation related question, just wish to get some advices or suggestions to name tweens animation. :)

How do you guys modularise your code or name your variables in terms of code readability.

For example,

var $object = $('.object');

This allows me to have a quick glance and know this is a jQuery or DOM element.

Currently im using something like this, so I can tell it's a animation type

var _obj = TweenMax.from($object, 0.6, { autoAlpha: 0, ease: Power1.easeOut });

But I really wish to use the underscore _ as a private method/function identifier. Do you guys prefix your animation var names?

Feel free to drop me any suggestion or advice :)

Hi Buntafujiwaaa  :)

I always use the $ character for jQuery elements, but rarely use an underscore. That's just me though. I think the best advice is be consistent. If you look through CodePen at some of the best coders work, you'll see how they do it. Here's a couple of our own masters:

GreenSock

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/

Blake Bowen

http://codepen.io/osublake/

Others may jump in with additional advice, practices and preferences.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 1

I generally use an underscore for something that's "private" in terms of scope, though not local variables inside of a function. Just a stylistic choice, not "right" or "wrong". I'd be curious to hear other people's opinions as well. I don't do anything special to indicate that a variable is an animation (tween/timeline). I almost always name my timelines "tl" locally inside functions, and "master" for a master TimelineLite/Max if/when I'm nesting things. 

I always try to go for code readability. Computers have no trouble reading your code. Humans, not so much. So I try to be as descriptive as possible with naming.

My naming convention is nouns for objects, with pluralization for anything that might be a collection.

var box = $("#box");
var boxes = $(".box");
var numbers = [1,2,3,4];

And verbs for functions...

createBox();
getColor();
setColor("red");

I used to do the $ sign for jQuery/elements, but have started to move away from that since other libraries like Angular also use the $ sign, and that can cause confusion.

I avoid using underscores unless the intent is to signify that something is private, and you should not access it from outside the object. I also use lodash.js/underscore.js a lot, which uses underscores, so it helps to reduce confusion by limiting my underscore naming to only properties/methods on an object.

var foo = {
  _x: 0, // private
  get x() { return this._x; }, // public
};

• Like 2