Search Community

Draggable elements return to previous position

hugonoro test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi Guys,

I've started working with GSAP a couple of days ago and I'm really impressed with all the potential.

I'm trying to achieve something that I don't know if it's possible to do out of the box. Usually I assume I'm the one missing something :)

So basically I have a container with a couple of draggables on it and what I was trying to do was on hitTest -> true, to make the element return to the position it had before.

I've managed to make this work very easily and send the element to the origin. But I'm struggling a bit with sending it to the previous position.

So let's say we have a draggable element on the initial position A  x:300, y:0. Then I drag it to the position  B x:200, y:100. On the position x:200, y:125 (consider each element of the grid 25px) there is one element which I will collide with. 

I want my draggable element to return to the position B x:200, y:100. But to be able to that I would have to do maths and calculate the previous position based on the drag and the grid cell dimensions. Or am I missing something? (I hope so :) )

Can you give me a few pointers on how to achieve this goal?

Thank.

Hi  hugonoro  :)

for getting the last position of the draggable element please try something like this : 

var lastPos = {x:0,y:0};
Draggable.create( elem , {
  type: "x,y",
  onPress:function(){
    lastPos.x = this.x;
    lastPos.y = this.y; 
    console.log(" last position : "+ lastPos.x , lastPos.y); // get Draggable current position
  },
  onDragEnd:function(){
    if( your logic ){ TweenLite.to(this.target,1,{ x:lastPos.x , y:lastPos.y }); }
  }
});   
  • Like 6

• Solution

Yes, you'd need to store the state but it should be super simple - you could even assign "lastX" and "lastY" properties to the Draggable instance itself or your element. No need to juggle a whole separate lookup table or a ton of variables.

Draggable.create( elem , {
  type: "x,y",
  onPress:function(){
    this.lastX = this.x;
    this.lastY = this.y; 
  },
  onDragEnd:function(){
    if( your logic ){ TweenLite.to(this.target,1,{ x:this.lastX , y:this.lastY }); }
  }
}); 
  • Like 5