Search Community

Using multiple instances of GreenSock on the same page

kreaturamedia test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi there!

We (among many others) are trying to fight against issues on CMS platforms (e.g. WordPress) caused by loading multiple versions of GSAP. We've already examined previous threads about possible solutions:

However, none of the mentioned suggestions give us a perfect solution to avoid conflicts. In an environment like WordPress, we cannot control the script order / GSAP builds & versions for every plugin and theme. If there would be 10 entirely different versions, then we would have to deal with that, without the ability to change scripts from other parties.

We're following this topic for years now, hoping that a perfect solution would come one day. Sandboxing does not seem to be reliable in all cases, often times we literally replace a conflicting plugin to another conflicting plugin. This occasionally involves angry authors who don't want to accept our reasoning and blame us breaking their plugin without realizing what's going on. I understand that the suggestions you've made to others can help in certain scenarios, but in my understanding it cannot be used as a universal way to avoid issues and not to cause conflicts to others.

To this end, I would greatly appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1. Can you please confirm if this really is the case, so we have some level of proof for other authors?

2. Do you consider handling cases like this internally in a future versions of GSAP?

3. Merging your suggestions from the different threads, I believe we've found the best possible combination. Can you please review the code below and tell us if it is safe to use for us and anybody else on a crowded CMS platform like WordPress?

<!-- Loaded by other plugins -->
<script src="TweenMax.js"></script>

<script>
    // Store GreenSock vars to restore them later
    var oldGS = window.GreenSockGlobals;
    var oldGSQueue = window._gsQueue;
    var oldGSDefine = window._gsDefine;

// Reset _gsDefine to load the new version in all cases
    // Seems to be necessary for maximize the efficiency
    window._gsDefine = null;
    delete( window._gsDefine );

// Capture and separate the new version in the GSAP variable
    var GSAP = window.GreenSockGlobals = {};
</script>

<!-- Our version -->
<script src="js/TweenMax.js"></script>

<script>
    // Reset everything
    window.GreenSockGlobals = null;
    window._gsQueue = null;
    window._gsDefine = null;

delete( window.GreenSockGlobals );
    delete( window._gsQueue );
    delete( window._gsDefine );

// Restore the affected variables from older version (if any)
    window.GreenSockGlobals = oldGS;
    window._gsQueue = oldGSQueue;
    window._gsDefine = oldGSDefine;
</script>

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

Cheers,

George

Hi George. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'm sure we can get something figured out...

Is there any way you could provide a reduced test case the demonstrates the issue? That'd be super helpful. I'm very curious about these problems you're talking about with plugins. I definitely want to help you avoid angry authors whose code breaks. It's extremely rare that we introduce breaking changes. The plugin API has been locked in for years. And updating to a more recent version of GSAP is almost always a great idea and won't break things, so I'm wondering why these authors are complaining, especially if you're using a more recent version. (Is that the case?)

Part of the challenge here is that we specifically built GSAP so that you could load things in any order and it'll "just work", so we can't assume that when TweenMax loads, for example, we should wipe out the queue or unhook it from the core. What if someone loads ScrollToPlugin (or whatever) after that? 

If you truly want to sandbox things, though, and you're not worried about encountering a plugin later that should be wired up with the current GSAP, you should be able to do something like:

<script>
    // Store GreenSock vars to restore them later
    var oldGS = window.GreenSockGlobals;
    var oldGSQueue = window._gsQueue;
    var oldGSDefine = window._gsDefine;

// Reset
    window._gsDefine = null;
    window._gsQueue = null;

// Capture and separate the new version in the GSAP variable
    var GSAP = window.GreenSockGlobals = {};
</script>

<!-- Our version -->
<script src="js/TweenMax.js"></script>

<script>
    // Restore the affected variables from older version (if any)
    window.GreenSockGlobals = oldGS;
    window._gsQueue = oldGSQueue;
    window._gsDefine = oldGSDefine;
</script>

(a tweaked version of what you had).

Does that help at all? Let us know if it's not working for you. Again, a reduced test case would be awesome. 

• Like 1