Search Community

GSAP Split Text Artifacts IE 10,11

Thomas James Thorstensson test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Thomas James Thorstensson,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello Fellow Greensocks,

I've noticed some artifacts when I animate text using SplitText library.

See screenshot below

artifacts.png

I wonder, can anything be done to solve this in IE11 for example? 

I will test adding rotation 0.01 trick, but not sure if it will help. 

Any ideas?

Thanks for anotherwise excellent product,

Let the socks be green!

."S"

• Solution

Glad you got it figured out Snoop :)

Thanks, you Snoop got it figured.

I also can report in, that using staggerTo or staggerFrom instead and just feeding it an array more or less allowed for the same effect, without the rendering issues.

And I would like to come with a suggestion, towards the end of this report. Since the rotation:0.01 trick is so common, to make things run faster in some browsers, and seeing that it works, it would be great if there could be a global setter or something where you could just globally on all elements set rotation 0.01. 

(Seeing as It is often a good fix).

Many Thanks and I shall now close this post.

Until next time,

".S"

It's not so much that rotation:0.01 makes it run faster. It's that it tells the browser to make the transform a 3D transform. Meaning to use translate3d() or matrix3d(), which pushes the element on to its own rendering layer to be rendered with the GPU instead of the CPU.

That rotation: 0.01 hack is what we also do in CSS only transitions and animations. It's almost like using z:0.01 with CSS equivalent being transform: translate3d(0,0,0.01px) .. both would force hardware acceleration.

The slight rotation hack is best used when translating with x and y to help make it interpolate smooth without jank.

Have a great day, happy tweening :)

It's not so much that rotation:0.01 makes it run faster. It's that it tells the browser to make the transform a 3D transform. Meaning to use translate3d() or matrix3d(), which pushes the element on to its own rendering layer to be rendered with the GPU instead of the CPU.

That rotation: 0.01 hack is what we apso do in CSS only transitions and animations. It's almost like using z:0.01 with CSS equivalent being transform: translate3d(0,0,0.01px) .. both would force hardware acceleration.

The slight rotation hack is best used when translating with x and y to help make it interpolate smooth without jank.

Have a great day, happy tweening :)

This was a good explanation.; I now know what I did not know before and shall try it in my CSS animations. 

Thanks, 

I am closing this now, as a fellow green-socker

".S"

• Like 1