Search Community

Question regarding transform perspective

trsh test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Seems, that transform perspective respects the original position of element, not transformed one. How can (can I?) I battle this without actually changing left,top position?

What I want is that element is transformed to x=500, and than rotated to it's own set origin (like it would be in x=0 - not transformed).

Janis

See the Pen NRPgvk by anon (@anon) on CodePen

Hello trsh,

It's weird because your codepen title is

Inconsistent SkewY buy you are not using the transform skewY property. Are you trying to fake skewY?

So I am having a little trouble following your question. Since when I look at your example the square is just in a static position. I think to demonstrate it, you will need to uses a to() tween since I see nothing happening with you using set()

Any additional clarification demonstrated in your example can be helpful, thanks!

Hello trsh,

It's weird because your codependent title is

Inconsistent SkewY buy you are not using the transform skewY property. Are you trying to fake skewY?

So I am having a little trouble following your question. Since when I look at your example the square is just in a static position. I think to demonstrate it, you will need to uses a to() tween since I see nothing happening with you using set()

Any additional clarification demonstrated in your example can be helpful, thanks!

1) I did not know codepen has titles. Ignore it. It's a Fork. Sorry for that,

2) I updated samples:

This is what I want ->  visually after rotate.

But as animating left = bad FPS (we develop for webos2 - tv gear), better option is x, but this is then the result after rotate -> 

See the Pen dpPzNA by anon (@anon) on CodePen

p.s it's maybe more a CSS question/problem trough. But please don't kick me to StackOverflow, as the dudes are brutal there .

p.s.s. pleas don't suggest onComplete add left, my real life example is much complicated and I really need to use transforms only.

If I understand correctly, you can just move the transformOrigin over to the right more

var box = $("#box");
  TweenLite.to(box, 3, { x:500, y:0,   onComplete(){
  TweenLite.set(box, { transformPerspective:1000, transformOrigin:"575px top", rotationX: 40 });
  } 
});

However, I would probably just put your box in a parent div like #boxHolder and move boxHolder to the right (x) and do the rotationX on #box.
  • Like 1

If I understand correctly, you can just move the transformOrigin over to the right more

var box = $("#box");
  TweenLite.to(box, 3, { x:500, y:0,   onComplete(){
  TweenLite.set(box, { transformPerspective:1000, transformOrigin:"575px top", rotationX: 40 });
  } 
});

See the Pen dpPzzL by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

However, I would probably just put your box in a parent div like #boxHolder and move boxHolder to the right (x) and do the rotationX on #box.

1) Parent box would be much change in my real project :/ 

2) The solution with 575px origin is great, but in my real project the value wont/can't be static. So this leads me to another questions:

a) Can I get, some-have nicely, the tx & ty transform with GSAP.

B) Does GSAP support dynamic values, like transformOrigin: function() { return tx + half_of_box; }

Hello trsh,

Regarding your question

a) Can I get, some-have nicely, the tx & ty transform with GSAP.

For dynamic values of a property inside a tween.. have you looked into using the GSAP ModifiersPlugin?

How to use the GSAP ModifiersPlugin:

http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/GSAP/Plugins/ModifiersPlugin/

The ModifiersPlugin was introduced in GSAP version 1.19.0

Examples of use:

See the Pen BzJxBB by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

See the Pen rLJmOv by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

See the Pen QEdpLe by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Hopefully that should get you in the right direction!

Happy Tweening!

Jonathan, nice idea about using ModifiersPlugin to change the transformOrigin during a tween. That could look something like this:

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/zKxbOv?editors=0110

trsh, the target of your tween has a _gsTransform object that gives you access to transform values like x, y, rotation, etc. So you can use myTween.target._gsTransform.x to get the x value at any time.

See the pen above to see how I use it to grab the x value or this great demo from Rodrigo: http://codepen.io/rhernando/pen/FxHhm/?editors=0010

• Like 1