Search Community

X and Y relative to transformOrigin

Clemorphy test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi

I am just not sure if x and y properties are supposed to be relative to transformOrigin.

Let's say I have a simple div, width 200px, height 200px.

If I am right, by default, transformOrigin is set to "50% 50% 0".

So if I rotate my div, the rotation is relative to its center. Fine.

But if I set x and y properties of my div (with TweenMax.set()), the position is always relative to its top left corner, and not to its transformOrigin.

1) is it the expected behaviour ?

2) if yes, is there a way to change the origin point for x and y properties ? Without having to set margin-left : -100px and margin-top : -100px

Thanx.

Hello Clemorphy, and Welcome to the GreenSock forum!

When i animate x and y .. i do not see how the transform-origin changes. It is still 50% 50% like when it is rotating

See the Pen ORLAmW by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

Now i can see how transform-origin would change if you were doing a whole mess of rotations within nested elements. But the behavior should be the same whether it is animated with CSS transitions / animations or via JS. ;)

If you are still having an issue, please provide a codepen demo example showing your issue so we can help you better.

Resource:

CSS transform-origin: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/transform-origin

• Like 2