Search Community

Passing {self} to function for new tween.

DeFrank test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

First time poster here so apologies if this has been answered before. I searched around a bit but couldn't find an answer that worked.

I just started playing with Greensock a week or so ago (it's a blast, amazing job) and haven't been able to figure out how to animate a tween further after passing to another function via onComplete: <function> onCompleteParams:[{self}].

In the example below I want to animate each instance to white after they are complete. If anyone can have a look I'd appreciate it (the function in question is javascript lines 5-8).

See the Pen OXExRK by DeFrank (@DeFrank) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

Glad to hear you are enjoying GSAP!

Thanks for the demo. Looks like you are close. To reference the target of a tween in a callback do this:

var t = new TimelineMax();

TweenMax.staggerFrom(".box", 1, {scale:0.5, onComplete:boxComp, onCompleteParams:["{self}"], opacity:0, delay:0.5, ease:Elastic.easeOut, force3D:true}, 0.075);

function boxComp(tween){
  t.to(tween.target, 1, { backgroundColor: "#fff" })
};

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/dXKmko

• Like 7

Little optimization tip. Your CSS is almost 1500 lines of code. You could drastically reduce that by creating your hue values in a loop. Here's how I calculate hue for a rainbow.

var hue = index / numItems * 360;

Although you have 360 elements, so that calculation works out the same.

See the Pen rLKdvq?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

• Like 4

Little optimization tip. Your CSS is almost 1500 lines of code. You could drastically reduce that by creating your hue values in a loop. Here's how I calculate hue for a rainbow.

var hue = index / numItems * 360;

Although you have 360 elements, so that calculation works out the same.

See the Pen rLKdvq?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

Yeah, just used jade and sass to hammer out an example real quick. Thanks for your insight, though!

• Like 1