Search Community

General question on page weight

PR25 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

This may be a bit vague but I will give it my best shot.

I am using a series of animations (progress bars) with 4 tabs.

In general, does the library perform well across most browsers or will it add significant weight to a page if I'm using simple circles and progress bars? Will this pose a challenge to slower connections?

Anyone with any insight or quick gotchas - I'd appreciate some insight.

• Like 1

Hi PR25 :)

Welcome to the GreenSock forums. 

The library performs extremely well across all browsers and doesn't add much weight at all. Depending on what you're doing, you may be able to get by with TweenLite, but even TweenMax isn't very big and it loads the CSS plugin for you.

You may have someone tell you that using CSS animations won't add any weight, but that can shift pretty quickly when you consider the amount of CSS code necessary to animate something when the same thing can be achieved with a few lines (or sometimes one line) of JavaScript.

You can download and try GSAP for free, so I'd suggest giving it a whirl. You'll get hooked pretty quickly on the performance and ease of use.

Happy tweening and welcome aboard.

:) 

• Like 2