Search Community

Is it possible to make a game using GSAP?

WarenGonzaga test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Er. 

Yes...?

I mean, how could we guess what bit you are going to need if we don't know what you are trying to achieve. Saying 'I made a simple game' does not describe much.

Is there any particular thing you are trying to achieve and not being able to?

Please bear in mind it is a lot better to focus on a small single problem than asking for people to fix your game, for example.

• Like 1

Er. 

Yes...?

I mean, how could we guess what bit you are going to need if we don't know what you are trying to achieve. Saying 'I made a simple game' does not describe much.

Is there any particular thing you are trying to achieve and not being able to?

Please bear in mind it is a lot better to focus on a small single problem than asking for people to fix your game, for example.

Hi buddy thanks for your response, I just want to know if we can use GSAP to make games? Like RPG games like pokemon for example!

I am not going to fix my game I am asking for that is it possible to create game using only GSAP. my pen is just as simple game using GSAP

If you 'can use'... Which aspect of 'can' are you referring to?

Can as in legally? Is this a licensing question? If so, GSAP is pretty generous with what can be done commercially. See the licensing page for more info.

Or is this a technical question? Technically, yes, you can use GSAP to make a game.

It is technically question so I can make games.. thanks so if I will use gsap as animation platform for my game I will need to buy a license?

It is technically question so I can make games.. thanks so if I will use gsap as animation platform for my game I will need to buy a license?

Sorry mate, the translation here did not work too well.

You're contradicting yourself with this last post of yours.

I can understand english is not your first language and you might be struggling to understand the licensing model. What is your native language? Maybe someone around speaks it and is happy to translate it in detail for you.

You do not need to have a license unless you will be charging people to use your app. I am not the best person to talk about this as I do not have any affiliation with GSAP other than as a user. But, if your games are going to be free, then, you don't need a license. If you are going to charge for your games, then, you should really find someone who is capable of reading english in a business environment to translate the nuances of the licensing model for you.

Does that help?

• Like 2

I'll take a shot;)

Yes, you can use GSAP in your game. If you need to move a tank or fire a missile, GSAP can animate those things.

However, keep in mind that GSAP is not a full-blown physics engine. It won't do hit-detection for you.

There are many things involved with games: level design, character design, logic, physics, scoring, generating enemies etc etc that GSAP can't do. 

Many games have been made with GSAP, but chances are you will need other tools along the way.

As Dipscom mentioned. You only need a Business License if you sell your game to multiple people.

If you need any more help or clarification just let us know.

We're happy to help.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was searching for this exact question and all I see is @Dipscom being a knob to someone asking a pretty simple question - he could have posted on Reddit and got a friendlier answer.

I like your little tank game mate. I'm looking to make my e-learning games using pure html/js instead of Animate or similar software. I'm hoping gsap can help if I use some of their libraries like Draggable.

Hi Erayner and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

In case it wasn't clear from the previous responses, yes, GSAP can be used in games.

A game can of course be anything from a multiple choice quiz (click on the right answer) to something more involved like Space Invaders or Call of Duty.

In a forum that focuses on tools that are used around the globe and require technical support it can be quite challenging sometimes to get through the language barrier and cut to the core of the issue. Just as we may struggle to understand a question, its understandable that personality traits and colloquialisms may get lost in the translation of our responses. A little grace and patience can go a long way on both sides.

Just to help you better understand the range of games GSAP can be used in:

@volcanoflash uses GSAP to build games into awesome banners: http://cdn2.worldoftanks.com/d_parhimovich/fbatwork/banners/wows/torpedoes/ 

and the folks from GoodBoy Digital use GSAP with Pixi.js to make full blown games like those found in the StarWars arcade:

https://www.goodboydigital.com/case-study/star-wars-arcade (use username and password provided at that link)

A search of the forums for "game" should hopefully bring up some other conversations like this one from earlier this month

Also, GSAP is widely used in e-learning games where the drag and drop capabilities of Draggable are crucial to the experience.

Just a few days ago, @OSUblake provided a remarkable demo in this thread:

In general, when joining a new forum its probably best to start a new thread with a clear question than revive an old one to criticize a highly-decorated moderator.  We're pretty easy-going around here though. I think you'll find that the help that Dipscom and the other moderators provide goes above and beyond what you will find in other forums if you give us the chance.

If there is a question you have about using GSAP in games, please let us know.

Happy Tweening!

• Like 3

Hey Carl.

I should apologise, sorry if I have offended.

However - I searched on google 'Can I use GSAP for Gaming' and this was the first post that came up. And when you're here for the first time and you see a rude mod you kinda gotta say something. I'm all for a community, but not a salt community.

Thanks for the links!