Search Community

One year of GreenSock forum participation – what I’ve experienced

PointC test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Read that post a while ago, and at the time I was building this little thing, it's kind of my summary what I learned in little above a year - hope you'll enjoy it :)

https://www.hq-biosciences.com/our-process/ (animations above approx 767px)

For me, GSAP was a blessing - special thanks, to @Ihatetomatoes you made it a thing in my life - finally, I could do some fun things with code and learn by doing instead of watching some crazy tutorials where you just use "this" and "this" and then I was just like this O_o

Dropped school because of that dull programming theory - we started to learn to programme from "C" language (like WTF)
I had a lot of attempts to learn JS but most of the stuff I could just copy/paste without even understanding or trying to understand.
(This one helped me understand what's going on under the hood  https://www.udemy.com/understand-javascript/ )

GSAP changed my life and made programming much easier to "eat" - I'll probably never be a kickass assembler programmer, but who knows - GSAP is a solid first sock to go anywhere and they should fking teach it at school.

Thank you all for helping me in various quests, learning hard to help you too someday
(that's hard! Even if I know the answer there are at least 2 answers already submitted - love you all :)

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Nice Mr Wizard!  :)

Really inspiring to read about somebody in the same situation as myself. Problem solvers that looked at GS several times and thought it looked to hard, and then one day just tried it out and found it easier and much more flexible than I ever known!

Thanks for all flash-support and that you hold back on the laughs. 

For all even newer to this than me, this is a really nice forum with lots of "wizards" with really good tips and solutions. Give GS a try and the forum something to solve.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing  Craig. It makes me feel like one of these days all this coding stuff is just going to click in and I will be off writing really good animations and text with less worry and doubt then I have right now.  In the beginning it is really hard to form questions that make sense, when basically I don't really know or understand what I am talking about. Some of your comments made me smile as in ask but then figure it out on your own and keep rolling on. My first coding is that Java Script, and I'm doing simple animations and working toward more difficult ones. 

Here I was smiling saying hey, this isn't so bad no math, then as the lessons increase here comes the arithmetic marching in and I said "wow" not good I really suck at math. Never could understand that stuff in school and now to learn coding I need to understand algebra. I thought this it it the end I will never learn how X & Y equal numbers, but maybe I am a bit smarter now because the way I am learning makes it all somehow make sense.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know through all my rambling on, that your words have given me courage to keep going and not give up.  See you around the forum!   :)

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I figured I better stop in and tell you why I disappeared from the forum and didn't join up yet. As I kept trying to study over at Khan-academy,  I kept getting more mixed up and confused in the sense that without knowing math I was not going to be able to finish that course, nor could I write good code without knowing the basic elements of the material, as the lessons skip forward quite quickly.

So I am homeschooling myself to learn what I do not know so I will be able to proceed in coding with all the animations and elements needed to be on track. As I looked to your kind instructions I knew I needed to go back to school and so I am in fourth grade math leading up to pre-algebra, then algebra I & II. Then a bit of geometric concepts to round it all out.

Then I will be back to learn more and truly understand what your trying to teach me. I really appreciate all the comments and the help you offered and provided even though my work was on another site.  Hope to be back before the next year is over. I am studying hard and math is starting to make some sense. Thanks a lot for being so nice.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I'm brand new to GSAP, and this resonated deeply with me as yet another goof typing at a beep-bop. This is the first time in a long while I've been so wildly excited by a technology, and even more so by its community and technological periphery. Looking forward to being a part of it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow- what absolutely similar backgrounds we have.  I too was a photographer/video person for many years.  I too became tired of hucking gear and traveling and moved more into the interactive world in 2008.  I am a very adept self promoter and soon began to stack up noted clients and my business grew into a respectable agency.  I realized a few years ago that enjoyed being a craftsman much more than a manager.  We went to a different business model wherein we scaled back the designers and coders, and I put myself back into design and development.  Best decision I ever made, and surprisingly my income improved despite the drop in gross revenues.

Fast forward a few years.

Like yourself I felt like the sites we were selling weren't candidates for any fancy gsap stuff. - Bullshit.  I have always said that if you always give your absolute best, no matter the scope or budget of a project, that you will be greatly rewarded.  I need to be drinking the KoolAid.

So, like you, I have decided to embark on the journey of learning JS, and ultimately GSAP.  I have used various snippets here and there, but only what I have gleaned from the internet.  So here is my question to you:  What is the path of learning, what are the available tools, and what resources do you recommend I invest time and money into to get where I would like to go?

I thank you for any direction you can offer.  Perhaps our paths may cross someday!

Jay Henry

Ultra Design Agency

https://ultradesignagency.com/

• Like 2

That's great, @Ultra Design Agency! I love the philosophy too of always giving your best and ultimately you'll reap the rewards. 

As for learning, of course I'd recommend starting with our very own getting started article/video, but there are a ton of other resources out there too. @Carl created a fantastic video resource for getting started at https://courses.snorkl.tv/courses/gsap-3-express?ref=44f484 and he's got more content for going beyond the basics. There are quite a few other articles and videos scattered around the web - just make sure they cover GSAP 3 (many of the older articles/videos cover earlier versions that had things like TweenMax, TimelineMax, etc. which are consolidated now into a simple "gsap" object in GSAP 3).

If you find any other great resources, please report back here and let us know what you found particularly useful. 

Good luck on your GSAP learning journey! We're happy you're here in the forums. I'd strongly encourage you to stick around and help other people whenever there's a question you can answer here - frankly that's the best way to learn. 

• Like 1

Hi @Ultra Design Agency If you are just starting out with GSAP, I am super confident my GSAP3 Express course will be an excellent place to start.

You can't beat the price of only $2.99 (with coupon code GREENSOCK. expires tomorrow).  Like Jack said, be sure not to invest time/money in stuff that uses TweenLite, TweenMax, TimelineLite, etc. 

If you have any questions just send me a message through the forums.

thx @GreenSock for the recommendation.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello,

The support and help in the forums is great. I really like seeing how each of the experts approach the same issue or question.  All the answers are valid but it's nice there is a choice on how to solve your issue that matches your level of understanding.

I find making GSAP snippet pens (GSAP Snips) really helpful. Each pen only focuses one or two things at a time.  Animations are kept really simple so my attention aimed at what I am trying to learn/understand rather then what I am trying to do. 

For instance, I created a GSAP Snip for addLabel(). I checked out the examples in the docs/videos and created a basic animation for each way addLabel() can be applied to a timeline.  For each of the examples, I add notes and reminders in the comments. So at a later time when thinking, how is this applied again, I just look at the snip and to get a quick refresh. 

The Snips also provide me with a place to test things out so I don't have to mess around with the code in the current project. This method is helping me build a core foundation so I am spending less time getting sidetracked.

• Like 5

On 6/23/2016 at 7:30 AM, Johan ️ Nerdmanship said:

Hear, hear! Sharing the love! Well written, Craig, and so well deserved mentions! And other unmentioned heroes too! Great culture of good attitude here!

Like you presume, I can very much relate, tho my tl is just tlCraig.totalProgress(0.2). ;) Greensock is my first real incentive to learn Js and it's such a good reason to learn. Now I spend my days in a code editor, but I feel like I'm in after effects! Actually – I feel more empowered by Greensock. Truly amazing!

I was lurking lots before my first post, and when I finally did post it was a semi-excuse just to break the silence and say thanks and hello. :)

Your stuff is unbelievable on Codepen, did you mostly use timelines for the Star Wars pen? I haven't had time to dig in your code yet. The 3d illusion is so awesome. 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, Orang3Wacko said:

Your stuff is unbelievable on Codepen, did you mostly use timelines for the Star Wars pen?

Thanks. The Star Wars pen is a bunch of nested timelines returned to a master. You can read more about that technique here: https://css-tricks.com/writing-smarter-animation-code/ It's written for GSAP 2 so a little updating will be necessary, but it should get you started.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just to echo everyone else, yes an inspiring post. As another older person (seriously really old), and coming from an HTML/CSS coding background I was worried about asking a dumb question as my JS knowledge is limited. Finally plucked up the courage partially thanks to this post and I am glad I did.

Keep up the good work everyone, this forum is a testament to what the internet should be and so often isn't.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's an old post, but new to me, and still very relevant.  I do a little bit of light JS, but my strengths are definitely more in HTML/CSS.  This post has given me the some motivation to improve my JS skills to the point where I no longer need to rely on taking found code snippits and bending them to suit my needs.

Learning through building projects is a great approach, and what better way to learn JS than by building something fun like adding slick animation to my existing websites?

In my experience, front-loading the learning process with some good courses/tutorial content can really speed things along.  Does anyone have any recommendation for javascript courses?  I'm willing to pay for quality content.  It doesn't necessarily have to be GSAP-specific, but that would be a bonus as long as a solid foundation of javascript knowledge isn't a prerequisite. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I'm 48h deep into implementing animations with gsap after running into edge cases with IntersectionObserver, and this library/community really surprised me. It is such a treat to see not only such a well-written & documented web library, but with an uniquely reasonable license & incredible developer support.

Seriously, the patience and work that goes into answering forum posts is astonishing, it is not easy to stay committed to your users like that after the 1001th request to spoon-feed someone a solution because they didn't bother to read docs or provide a sample. But thanks to doing so the forums is now a treasure trove of information, I was able to solve several issues with my implementation thanks to detailed answers to similar issues in the forum.

Really just major kudos to the Greensock team.

• Thanks 2