Search Community

Export to animated GIF, MP4 or MOV

swampthang test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm working on a project where we are creating a tool as a sort of helper app that we can use to create an animation using HTML5/JS GSAP (not Flash version) and then export the animation with transparency for use on the web as a standalone file such as animated GIF, MOV or MP4 as a transparent layer in a video editing program.

The animation tool will focus on the goodies from the DrawSVG, MorphSVG and SplitText plugins. So, obviously we would chain together a bunch of GSAP scripts and then try to capture the completed animation playing inside a specific container using some sort of rendering process that gets converted into the above mentioned filetypes. 

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this? I am working in a Node.js environment so will have all that's possible in Node available to me including file system access. I am hoping someone has already created an export tool that can be plugged in to our helper application.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

I'm not familiar with a technique for doing this. It's certainly not something built into GSAP. I imagine with Node and some other server-side technology it is within the realm of possibility. My guess is that stackoverflow would be a good place to ask.

I know that CodePen uses PhantomJS for generating static screen captures of web pages: http://phantomjs.org/related-projects.html

If you get any good results we would love to hear about them.

• Like 2

Thanks, Carl. I'm writing this as an electron application (from the github folks) - in case others are interested in seeing this quest chronicled, I have been looking at these 2 options:

Electron Recorder

CCapture.js

CCapture is a canvas-based library so, of course, would require canvas but not sure yet if Electron Recorder would allow recording from a specific application. Will keep this updated as I go and hopefully find a good solution.

• Like 2

This is proving to be a real challenge to do it right. Any guidance from someone who has any experience at this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated. Would be awesome to figure out a way to export to some sort of plugin that could run in a video track preserving the GSAP code. How cool would that be! 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...