Search Community

font rendering issue in safari (on Mac) when using SplitText

Liam@II test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Thanks for posting the demo.

At a quick glance I didn't see any code that would suggest that opacity should be less than 1 at any time.

There is quite a bit of html and CSS in there that doesn't seem related. It would help if you could remove everything that isn't related to the problem. For instance if the first 8 animations work fine. Remove all css, JS and html related to those. It just helps us find the problem quicker.

Again I'm having trouble seeing what the expected opacity should be.

• Like 2

When i looked at that example, i did not see any opacity on any of your elements!

UPDATE:

Just tested in debug mode on codepen and now i see a inline style being added of opacity CSS property.

I do see that in your tweens that you are applying opacity, that is why you have a opacity: 0 in a staggerFrom() tween so that is why you have opacity on your tween.

On this tween LINE 20:

tl.staggerFrom(charsThree, 1, {opacity:0, left: "+=90", ease:Power2.easeOut}, 0.15, "-=0.7");

:)

• Like 3

Yeah i agree.. Cool i thought i had to have my eyes checked.. cuz it wasn't like that in regular codepen editor mode.. but then i checked in debug mode and it was there. Then when i checked in editor mode again .. i saw the opacity there. So i think Liam@II was changing the codepen while we where looking at it.

• Like 2

Hi,

sorry i was editing this as you were looking at it. i assumed that because i was using an initial scale of 0, i didnt need to tween the opacity.

but i still see the exact same regardless of the edit. the first image below is the font after line 15 is JS is complete.

the second image is after line 17 of the JS is complete.

im on Mac (El Capitan) Safari 9.1.1

uOqKGyz.png

it seems its a rendering issue in safari when doing 3D transforms. 

if you remove the rotationX AND set force3D to false the font will stay consistent throughout.

I can't fork your private pen so you can paste this.

var lineOne = new SplitText("#lineOne", {type:"chars"}), 
    lineTwo = new SplitText("#lineTwo", {type:"chars"}), 
    lineThree = new SplitText("#lineThree", {type:"lines"});

var charsOne = lineOne.chars, 
    charsTwo = lineTwo.chars, 
    charsThree = lineThree.lines;
CSSPlugin.defaultForce3D = false;
function load() {
  tl = new TimelineLite({delay:0});
  TweenLite.set("#lineOne, #lineTwo, #lineThree", {visibility: "visible", perspective:800});
  TweenLite.set("#logo", {visibility:"visible"})

tl.to("#photo", 5, {top:"-=155",  ease:Power2.easeInOut}, "start");
 tl.staggerFrom(charsOne, 1, {scale:0, y:180, rotation:180, transformOrigin:"0% 50% -50",  ease:Power2.easeOut}, 0.015, "start+=2.2");
 tl.from("#logo", 1, {left:'+=200',  ease:Power3.easeOut}, "start+=4");
 tl.staggerFrom(charsTwo, 1, {scale:0, y:180, rotation:180, transformOrigin:"0% 50% -50",  ease:Power2.easeOut}, 0.015, "start+=4.3");
 tl.to("#blackWipe", 1, {left:"-=728",  ease:Power3.easeOut}, "+=1.8", "endFrame");
 tl.to("#logo", 1, {left:'-=90',  ease:Power3.easeOut}, "endFrame-=1");
 tl.staggerFrom(charsThree, 1, {opacity:0, left: "+=90", ease:Power2.easeOut}, 0.15, "-=0.7");
 tl.from("#CTA", 0.5, {scaleX:0, transformOrigin:"100% 50%", autoAlpha:0, ease:Power3.easeOut}, "+=0");
}

window.onload = load;

Next time, please try to reduce the demo. Thanks.

• Like 1