Search Community

ADA for Banners, Part II

flysi3000 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hey guys,

In a previous post, I asked about adding text to a banner that would be picked up by a screen reader, and got a great answer. The ad unit was given a once-over by some folks at the ADA, and they came back to us saying that we should have tabindex controls on any buttons in the banner as well. We have a play/pause, replay and the cta button that would need that attribute. 

My problem is, I built this particular unit in Animate CC, and don't know how to add tabindex to those elements. I saw that the 2dContext of the canvas element has a drawFocusIfNeeded() method, but how do I add that to my buttons?

Also, can anyone confirm that the content of the banner, if it's being iframed in, will receive focus if the user keeps tabbing?

Again, for the record, this is the first banner I've ever built that had all these strict ADA requirements, so I'm a little new at this.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I haven't heard much talk of accessibility in banners. Regarding giving elements a tab focus in Animate's canvas, my guess is that it's not supported. A quick glance at the EaselJS did not reveal anything. I would definitely recommend you reach out to the createJS team on this one. I'm sure they can be of better help.

An idea worth pursuing may be to overlay a DOM element on your canvas to act as the CTA button.

Regarding iframed content getting focus after tabbing, really not sure on that either, I haven't experienced it, nor have i tested.

All I know is that you need to map the coordinates of a button to your canvas. There are ways to access the canvas and context through Easel. Try playing around with the CodePen link on that MDN page you linked to.

Here's what it should look like, although this example is using Pixi. You can tab through the buttons and press space/enter to activate a button.

http://www.goodboydigital.com/pixijs/accessibility/accessibility.html

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Blake,

Any idea how to reassign a tab index to elements?  I am actually using Animate CC canvas. I have buttons I randomized the y position but I want to be able to assign tabindex to them. I wrote a function to do it. the console tells me they are assigned but they do not take.