Search Community

A way to set moveFrom and moveTo positions in BezierPlugin?

Friebel test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

I'm using the BezierPlugin to move elements along a path.

Now I can't figure out how to accomplish the following (please view the sketch):
KCzS44O.jpg

I want elements A to C to move over the path, without them collide/overlap. So from the first positions as dwawn here, to the end positions as drawn.
So that means elem A moves from 0 percent to about 80% of the full path, elem B starts at about 10% (0,1 progress) to around 90% and elem C has to move from 20% of the full path to 100% of the path.
And the whole animation I'd like to loop.

I tried some things to accomplish this with staggerTo() and onUpdate() among others. And maybe something could be done by using progress on each tween, but it's getting messy quickly and I wonder if there is no easier way to accomplish this.

A] Is there any build in function inside Greensock/BezierPlugin to set moveFrom and moveTo offset positions on the path (so something like setting the from/to percentages in the drawSVGplugin)?

B] I'm also looking for a way to get the absolute length of the path in pixels to determine the right places for A,B and C to start and stop. Is there 
by any chance a method available to get this absolute path length?

Thanks in advance!

• Solution

Yeah, I think the progress() route is the way to go.

Start by positioning all element where A is (beginning of path)

Create a tween for each element that moves it to where Point C is (ha) at end of path

var bezPoints = [{x:200, y:100}, {x:400, y:0}];
var tweenA = TweenLite.to(".a", 1, {bezier:bezPoints});
var tweenB = TweenLite.to(".b", 1, {bezier:bezPoints});
var tweenC = TweenLite.to(".c", 1, {bezier:bezPoints});

set the progress of each tween so that each element (A, B, and C) are at their respective starting positions

tweenA.pause(0);
tweenB.progress(0.2).pause();
tweenC.progress(0.4).pause();

Next create a timeline that tweens the progress() of each tween at the same time for the same duration like

tl.to(tweenA, 1, {progress:0.6})
  .to(tweenB, 1, {progress:0.8}, 0)
  .to(tweenC, 1, {progress:1}, 0)

Check it out: http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/YqmEMJ?editors=0010

• Like 5