Search Community

Slideshow cycle with TimelineMax

alexpi test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I need to make a slideshow that is part of a larger animation. The images need to fade in-out, move and scale in parallel. I achieved that effect, but my problem is that I can't repeat the cycle using the same motions, the transition from the last image to the first is abrupt. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I searched the forum, and found some solutions with TweenMax, (http://greensock.com/forums/topic/8174-how-do-i-make-a-seamlessly-cycling-slideshow/?hl=timelinemax+slideshow) but I don't know if the moving and scaling effects are possible using those.

Thanks

See the Pen grNrdz by alexpi (@alexpi) on CodePen

• Solution

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums,

Since timelines are linear, you can't play the beginning while the end is still playing.

1 solution is to have a tween at the end that fades from last to first and then you jump back to the beginning where the first slide is already present.

This is a little tricky as you also have to change the stacking order (z-index) as the first slide is below the last slide.

tl.to(slides[0], duration, {x: "+=" + left, scale: scale, ease: Power0.easeNone})
  .add("repeat")
  .to(slides[1], overlap, {autoAlpha: 1})
  .to(slides[1], duration, {x: "+=" + left, scale: scale, ease: Power0.easeNone}, "-=" + overlap)
  .to(slides[2], overlap, {autoAlpha: 1})
  .to(slides[2], duration, {x: "+=" + left, scale: scale, ease: Power0.easeNone}, "-=" + overlap)
  .to(slides[3], overlap, {autoAlpha: 1})
  .to(slides[3], duration, {x: "+=" + left, scale: scale, ease: Power0.easeNone}, "-=" + overlap)

//new

.set(slides[0], {zIndex:8, scale:1, x:0, autoAlpha:0})
  .to(slides[0], overlap, {autoAlpha: 1})
  .to(slides[0], duration, {x: "+=" + left, scale: scale, ease: Power0.easeNone}, "-=" + overlap

http://codepen.io/GreenSock/pen/grNgWq?editors=0010

I changed to solid colored divs as it was a little weird seeing the images change every time i changed the code :)

• Like 3