Search Community

CSSRulePlugin - clearing mods

Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello,

I'd like to know how to clear/cancel/revert all changes made by the CSSRulePlugin. The "clearProps All" method works well for a single element but since the CSSRulePlugin can make changes to multiple selectors, I'm not sure how to do the same thing here.

What I'd like to do: TweenLite.set(allMyAffectedElements, {clearProps: "all"});

Maybe it's quite simple, I just can't figure it out.

clearProps isn't about clearing only the properties that a specific GSAP plugin affected (GSAP doesn't keep a centralized record of those things...that could cause memory problems) - it's just about clearing whatever inline styles you want. So if you say "all", it'll clear all the inline styles. For CSSRulePlugin, that's not really a thing but you have 2 options that I can think of:

1. If you want to clear all the styles in that rule, you can simply set the rule's cssText to "". Like yourRule.cssText = "";
  2. If you want to revert only the changes that a particular tween made, you could just jump back to the beginning of that tween, like:
ver tween = TweenLite.to(..., {cssRule:{...}});
//then later...
tween.pause(0); //rewinds to the beginning and stops (reverts changes made by this tween)

Does that help? 

• Like 1

clearProps isn't about clearing only the properties that a specific GSAP plugin affected (GSAP doesn't keep a centralized record of those things...that could cause memory problems) - it's just about clearing whatever inline styles you want. So if you say "all", it'll clear all the inline styles. For CSSRulePlugin, that's not really a thing but you have 2 options that I can think of:

1. If you want to clear all the styles in that rule, you can simply set the rule's cssText to "". Like yourRule.cssText = "";
  2. If you want to revert only the changes that a particular tween made, you could just jump back to the beginning of that tween, like:
ver tween = TweenLite.to(..., {cssRule:{...}});
//then later...
tween.pause(0); //rewinds to the beginning and stops (reverts changes made by this tween)

Does that help? 

Not sure that would work for me. My interface is a little demo for the plugin that allows me to enter values in multiple inputs to test my tweens. Every time I press submit a new tween gets generated, overwriting the old one.

I tween from computedStyles to the new ones. I can do this any number of times. That works well.

Here's the tween that gets generated every time:

cssRuleTween = TweenLite.fromTo(CSSRulePlugin.getRule(selector), duration, {cssRule: computedStyles}, {cssRule: tweenValues, ease: easeValue, onComplete: activateResetButton});

The chosen selector as well as the properties and values can change every time.

I need my reset button to wipe clean everything that was done up to that point and start fresh (equivalent of doing a page reload).

For #1 to work I guess I would have to keep track of everything that's been done up to that point and manually revert it back.