Search Community

Jerkiness on Progress Bar with intra timeline Image Transitions

jstafford test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

While this problem is much diminished in this codepen, it is still present if you look closely. It doesn't happen all the time , but when it does , there is a slight stop and then the progress bar begins again while the images transition to another. This is not present in the states with only one image (the progress bar goes across with no slight interruptions). I am working on a much bigger banner slider (20 states with 7 or 8 that have these multiple intra-transitions). It is present to a greater degree. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

John

See the Pen NNepeW by jstafford (@jstafford) on CodePen

I didn't notice any problems, but it sounds like just a rendering issue that is unrelated to GSAP. Remember, the more pixels you change on the screen, the harder you push the browser's graphics rendering routines (thus CPU/GPU load). If you're only changing opacity, it should be pretty fast though. I'm curious why you're using an onUpdate to change the scaleX of the progress bar rather than simply tweening that value directly. That'd certainly be more efficient, but I doubt this is the source of your "jerkiness" problems anyway. 

• Like 3

Hi Jack.

You can see slight hiccups in between slides if you look closely at the progress bar. It is present to a greater degree on my local example that I can't put on codepen. No reason why I am using onUpdate. I was using this as an example. http://greensock.com/forums/topic/10484-get-progress-of-a-child-timeline-and-master-timeline/ ; Could this be the source of the problem? Trying to figure out how to tie the scaleX progress with progress bar when I create the timeline and not having much luck.

And also keep in mind that a long, slow moving animation like the progress bar is doing may appear choppy because it has the potential to stay at certain pixel/subpixel value for a couple of frames if the change in value isn't great enough. You're brain will notice the difference, and it won't appear smooth.

• Like 1

Hello,

Right now your progress bar is attached to your main timeline, instead of the individual image slides timelines. That is why it doesn't reach 100% for each slide transition. So right now it just reaches 100% when all images have been cycled through which is not the behavior an image slider .

The following is just an example of using a progress bar in a simple GSAP image slider:

See the Pen qxsfc by jonathan (@jonathan) on CodePen

It will just animate the progress bar to 100% for each slide.

Right now it is just using matrix(), so it is just a 2D transform. You could add force3D:true or add a slight rotation: 0.01 or z:0.01 if you want to trigger hardware acceleration. This way you can have it animate using matrix3d() instead of what it is doing now using just matrix(). Then it could get more smooth since it will use the GPU.

:)

• Like 3

o.k. - looks like everyone is giving some great answers so I'll throw my 2 cents worth out here too. :)

I was curious about all the timelines being created for this effect. You could actually make this whole thing happen with a couple staggers and a tween for the progress bar.

var slideTime = 1.5,
    stayTime = 5,
    tl = new TimelineMax();

tl.staggerTo(".imgSlide", slideTime, {autoAlpha:1},stayTime+slideTime)
  .staggerTo(".imgSlide", slideTime, {autoAlpha:0},stayTime+slideTime,stayTime+slideTime);
TweenMax.from(".progress", tl.duration(), {transformOrigin:"left", scaleX:0, ease:Linear.easeNone})

See the Pen pyqVBy by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2