Search Community

Saw my DCM served HTML5 ads in the wild...

somnamblst test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

:x

I saw no animation.

I initially thought I was seeing static, because right clicking gave me save image as. Dev tools clearly showed the ad tag was the HTML5 ad, so clearly the animation was finished by the time it was viewable.

What has changed between then and now in addition to HTML5 rather than SWFs, is pre HTML5 our SWF banners were DCRM served because DC was doing dynamic logo versioning as a value added freebie. As the Google Chrome cutoff loomed, it became apparent that Google wanted no part of the heavy lifting anymore, and we were nudged towards DCM, and told only expandables, video and dynamic needed to be DCRM.

So I really don't know if this behavior is DCRM vs DCM, or user error on the part of our AdOps team. Other advertiser's ads on the page did not seem to exhibit this behavior, but i did not try to determine if they were Doubleclick served.

The site was Washington Post. Multiples of the same campaign (3) were on the that one article page, two 300x250s, and one 300x600, which does not seem how banners should deliver. In one 300x250 in the article, rather than the sidebar,  I did see the briefest end of the animation.

Edited to add, as I am reloading and right clicking to view frame source I see Google's Gmail ad is DCRM as it is using enabler.js, despite no need for rich media. Not necessarily significant, as it is probably created by an agency, that is reimbursed for the higher cost of rich media,