Search Community

Wanted: Offline resources for GSAP

Johan ⚡️ Nerdmanship test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hello GSAP forum! I'm a new shockingly green recruit and super excited to be here and get started with this.

I work remotely and travel a lot which means that I'm highly dependant on an offline workflow (thank you Sublime, Codekit, MAMP, Git & Dash). So I'm looking for offline resources to learn and troubleshoot GSAP. I'd be super-grateful for any advice!

My own contribution:

Youtube app for iOS allows you to save videos for offline viewing. (thank you ihatetomatoes, Chris Gannon + more )

Request:

To the lovely GSAP team I would like to suggest to create a docset for Dash so that every offline working enthusiast (like me) can access your brilliant documentation. It should return lots of value for little value invested. <3

Thank you! 

• Like 1

I looked into this a while ago because I wanted to add documentation to a set a TypeScript definitions. Unfortunately, the online documentation is not in a format that can be exported. This meant that I had to manually copying everything from the website and format it for JSDocs. This is a very time consuming process, and I haven't been able to finish them. 

Once everything is in a JSDoc format, it's easy to convert it to something like Dash, but I don't know if they have plans to do that, nor do I know when I'll be done with my version. In the meantime, I would suggest just trying to copy the documentation from the website so you can create an offline version. I can't recommend the best way to do that, but I know there's lots tools out there that can do that.

• Like 2

The most offline resource would be the print version of our workbook: https://www.nobledesktop.com/books/gsap

As Blake noted, our docs are completely custom and database driven. Since parts are ajax driven it might be difficult for a bot or program to scrape them. 

However, it should be totally possible for us to output static HTML files for local viewing. It's just very low on our priority list and we have limited resources to build something like that now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys!

@OSUblake If you ever finish it – here's a guy who'd praise you!

@Jonathan Thanks, that's really a great resource for beginners, but it only takes you so far.

@Carl I appreciate that you have a juicy backlog and higher priorities! Hope to see some offline resources in the future tho. It's my understanding that many modern developers have an internet independent workflow, which would make an offline GSAP resource super valuable!

Thanks again, much love!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to be helpful by trying to make a downloadable localized version of the documentation. For OSx an app called "SiteSucker.app" exists (like curl / wget, but with a bunch of added file localization options). It works, kind of, but I found out the GreenSock docs DOM animations require one or more Green Membership Plugins ;-)

-Jos

• Like 1

Try this app if you're on a Mac (Older version, free to use I guess):  SiteSucker 2.3.6
It let's you download entire websites, you can choose your base url and dig / scrape / crawl / download from there (e.g. http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/ in your case). You can also "localize" file paths.

If that doesn't work, and you know a bit of Python, a whole world of open source web crawler tools exist. Have a look at http://scrapy.org/

It's like GoogleBot, only "a tiny little bit" less advanced.

PS: Since these tools exist, I dropped you the urls. But I recommend that you first ask Jack / Carl for permission to use such scraper-tools to download / localize the GreenSock docs for your personal use.

PS2: you can also run MongoDB, a document data store / no-SQL engine. It uses BSON (binary JSON) to store data (e.g. some data you first scraped and then mapped). You can then re-format your content of interest to another format (your own, local, pages that get fed data from MongoDB).

-Jos