Search Community

Transform chaining in GSAP

Ninili test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Is there any way to have multiple transformes chained in a distinct order with GSAP?

With SVG you can write all transforms in the "transform" attribute and they will be executed in the reverse order, like:

<circle r="20" transform="scale(2) rotate(20) translate(-20,0)"/>

this will move the circle 20 units to the left, rotate it by 20° (having it's origin still at 0,0) and then scale it by 2.

a different order of transforms will yield a different result.

I wonder if it would be possible to be able to chain transforms like that in GSAP, but with any element, like this:

TweenMax.to('#element', 2, {
  opacity:1,
  chainedTransform: [{
      scale: 1.5
    }, {
      x: -100
    }, {
      rotate: 50, transformOrigin:'50% 20%'
    }, {
      scale 1 / 1.5
    }, {
      y: 100, y:-50
    }, {
      matrix: [0.8, 0.4, -0.4, 0.8, 32, -32]
    }, {
      skewX:20, transformOrigin:'0 0'
    }
  ]
});

This way you could do more complex animations and would likely be most suitable for "fromTo" Tweens.

Hi Ninili  :)

if i understand correctly , the short answer is nope , the order in which you declare the transform properties makes no difference.

as you can read in CssPlugin Doc : http://greensock.com/docs/#/HTML5/Plugins/CSSPlugin/

In regular CSS, the order that you list the transforms matters but GSAP always applies them in the same order for consistency: translation (x, y, z), then scale, then rotationX, then rotationY, then skew, thenrotation (same as rotationZ) although in terms of constructing the matrix, the math is technically done in the reverse of that order. 

• Like 3

Excellent responses, Jonathan and Diaco. Exactly right. And for the record, GSAP can achieve any transform you want. All transforms ultimately boil down to a computed matrix() anyway. You can also just animate the "transform" property itself so that you can shove whatever you want in there, but that has a higher price up front due to the mushing together of the values to figure out the matrix. I strongly recommend just using the faster, and usually more intuitive shortcuts like x, y, rotation, scaleX, scaleY, skewX, skewY, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

What I was thinking about was actually order of operations, thanks for the links, Jonathan. I searched a lot in the forums, but it was rather hard to find the right terms to describe what I was looking for.

I'll then stick for native translates or nested containers for more complex transforms.

It's actually very rare that I need any other kind of Transform other than those GSAP already provide.