Search Community

Latest Chrome update 49 causes animation jitters (scale)

dada78 test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi guys,

I have a simple scale animation going and it passed QA through all browsers. Smooth animation. Looked beautiful. However when I checked today the same animation looks super jittery on all scaling elements in the latest Chrome update.

I noticed that on my machine Chrome updated to Version 49.0.2623.87 (64-bit). I also checked on a colleagues machine who also displayed the same jittery animation. On anther machine however that uses the previous Chrome version (48) everything looked as smooth as in latest Safari and Firefox.

I will post a codepen a bit later but for right now the code is:

.set(bgr,{scale:1, transformOrigin:"right top"})
.set(woman,{scale:1, y:-9})

.from(bgr, 8, {x:80, rotationZ:0.01, force3D:true, scale:1.3}, "start")
.from(woman, 6.5, {y:20, rotationZ:0.01, force3D:true, scale:1.3}, "start")

//I probably don't need the force 3d anymore but left it in there. No difference with or without I don't think..

Interesting Blake ..

So it looks like the pixel snapping is only happens on:

• Windows 10 - Chrome 49
  • Apple Mac - Chrome 49

But it doesn't happen on

• Windows 7 - Chrome 49
  • Apple iOS - Chrome 49

If anyone else sees the pixel snapping please let us know, Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, seeing it in Chrome 49 on Windows 7 at home and on a Mac at the studio. I first noticed it on The PC then once I got to work I viewed the same site just prior to Chrome updating itself, silky smooth, then there it was.

Particularly noticeable on fonts!

• Like 1