Search Community

SVG and font in Chrome

benoit test
Moderator Tag

Warning: Please note

This thread was started before GSAP 3 was released. Some information, especially the syntax, may be out of date for GSAP 3. Please see the GSAP 3 migration guide and release notes for more information about how to update the code to GSAP 3's syntax. 

Hi,

This is more a question about SVG, Illustrator and Chrome but I think there is a SVG expert in this room.

There is few options to embed font in SVG with Ai (check my codepen), SVG is now with a lot of <glyph> tags but it's not render in Chrome (just in quickview on mac).

So, how to embed font to use with GSAP and get best animation ;  vectorize a big paragraph ? or just put in @font-face style is ok ? what's your workflow ?

See the Pen VaeJVX by benoitwimart (@benoitwimart) on CodePen

Hi benoit :)

I think the easiest way is just using @font-face.You're probably loading that font for other parts of your project anyway so all the fonts of the SVG can match everything. If you make all the text into paths, you'll end up with a much bigger SVG. Leaving it as text will also give you the ability to make quick text changes without going back to your original AI file.

Here's a fork of your pen with a simple toggle to change the font in your SVG:

See the Pen aNNbVm by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2